Date:   Wed, 23 Feb 2022 16:46:45 +0200
From:   Andy Shevchenko <andriy.shevchenko@...ux.intel.com>
To:     Clément Léger <clement.leger@...tlin.com>,
        Hans de Goede <hdegoede@...hat.com>,
        Enrico Weigelt <info@...ux.net>
Cc:     Daniel Scally <djrscally@...il.com>,
        Heikki Krogerus <heikki.krogerus@...ux.intel.com>,
        Sakari Ailus <sakari.ailus@...ux.intel.com>,
        "Rafael J . Wysocki" <rafael@...nel.org>,
        Wolfram Sang <wsa@...nel.org>, Peter Rosin <peda@...ntia.se>,
        Russell King <linux@...linux.org.uk>,
        Andrew Lunn <andrew@...n.ch>,
        Heiner Kallweit <hkallweit1@...il.com>,
        "David S . Miller" <davem@...emloft.net>,
        Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
        linux-acpi@...r.kernel.org, linux-i2c@...r.kernel.org,
        netdev@...r.kernel.org,
        Thomas Petazzoni <thomas.petazzoni@...tlin.com>,
        Alexandre Belloni <alexandre.belloni@...tlin.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC 00/10] add support for fwnode in i2c mux system and sfp

On Tue, Feb 22, 2022 at 05:30:19PM +0100, Clément Léger wrote:
> Le Mon, 21 Feb 2022 19:41:24 +0200,
> Andy Shevchenko <andriy.shevchenko@...ux.intel.com> a écrit :

> > > We thought about adding CONFIG_OF to x86 and potentially describe this
> > > card using device-tree overlays but it introduce other problems that
> > > also seems difficult to solve (overlay loading without base
> > > device-tree, fixup of IRQs, adresses, and so on) and CONFIG_OF is not
> > > often enabled on x86 to say the least.
> >
> > Why it can't be described by SSDT overlay (if the x86 platform in question is
> > ACPI based)?
>
> This devices uses a SoC for which drivers are already available but are
> meant to be used by a device-tree description. These drivers uses the
> following subsystems:
> - reset (no ACPI support ?)
> - clk (no ACPI support ?)
> - pinctrl (no ACPI support ?)
> - syscon (no ACPI support ?)
> - gpio
> - phy
> - mdio
>
> Converting existing OF support to fwnode support and thus allowing
> drivers and subsystems to be compatible with software nodes seemed like
> the easiest way to do what I needed by keeping all existing drivers.
> With this support, the driver is completely self-contained and does
> allow the card to be plugged on whatever platform the user may have.

I agree with Hans on the point that converting to / supporting fwnode is
a good thing by its own.

> Again, the PCI card is independent of the platform, I do not really see
> why it should be described using platform description language.

Yep, and that why it should cope with the platforms it's designed to be used
with.

> > > This series introduce a number of changes in multiple subsystems to
> > > allow registering and using devices that are described with a
> > > software_node description attached to a mfd_cell, making them usable
> > > with the fwnode API. It was needed to modify many subsystem where
> > > CONFIG_OF was tightly integrated through the use of of_xlate()
> > > functions and other of_* calls. New calls have been added to use fwnode
> > > API and thus be usable with a wider range of nodes. Functions that are
> > > used to get the devices (pinctrl_get, clk_get and so on) also needed
> > > to be changed to use the fwnode API internally.
> > >
> > > For instance, the clk framework has been modified to add a
> > > fwnode_xlate() callback and a new named fwnode_clk_add_hw_provider()
> > > has been added. This function will register a clock using
> > > fwnode_xlate() callback. Note that since the fwnode API is compatible
> > > with devices that have a of_node member set, it will still be possible
> > > to use the driver and get the clocks with CONFIG_OF enabled
> > > configurations.
> >
> > How does this all is compatible with ACPI approaches?
> > I mean we usually do not reintroduce 1:1 DT schemas in ACPI.
>
> For the moment, I only added fwnode API support as an alternative to
> support both OF and software nodes. ACPI is not meant to be handled by
> this code "as-is". There is for sure some modifications to be made and
> I do not know how clocks are handled when using ACPI. Based on some
> thread dating back to 2018 [1], it seem it was even not supported at
> all.
>
> To be clear, I added the equivalent of the OF support but using
> fwnode API because I was interested primarly in using it with software
> nodes and still wanted OF support to work. I did not planned it to be
> "ACPI compliant" right now since I do not have any knowledge in that
> field.

And here is the problem. We have a few different resource providers
(a.k.a. firmware interfaces) which we need to cope with.

What is going on in this series seems to me quite a violation of the
layers and technologies. But I guess you may find a supporter of your
ideas (I mean Enrico). However, I'm on the other side and do not like
this approach.

> > I think the CCF should be converted to use fwnode APIs and meanwhile
> > we may discuss how to deal with clocks on ACPI platforms, because
> > it may be a part of the power management methods.
>
> Ok, before going down that way, should the fwnode support be the "only"
> one, ie remove of_clk_register and others and convert them to
> fwnode_clk_register for instance or should it be left to avoid
> modifying all clock drivers ?

IRQ domain framework decided to cohabit both, while deprecating the OF one.
(see "add" vs. "create" APIs there). I think it's a sane choice.

> > > In some subsystems, it was possible to keep OF related function by
> > > wrapping the fwnode ones. It is not yet sure if both support
> > > (device-tree and fwnode) should still continue to coexists. For instance
> > > if fwnode_xlate() and of_xlate() should remain since the fwnode version
> > > also supports device-tree. Removing of_xlate() would of course require
> > > to modify all drivers that uses it.
> > >
> > > Here is an excerpt of the lan966x description when used as a PCIe card.
> > > The complete description is visible at [2]. This part only describe the
> > > flexcom controller and the fixed-clock that is used as an input clock.
> > >
> > > static const struct property_entry ddr_clk_props[] = {
> > >         PROPERTY_ENTRY_U32("clock-frequency", 30000000),
> >
> > >         PROPERTY_ENTRY_U32("#clock-cells", 0),
> >
> > Why this is used?
>
> These props actually describes a fixed-clock properties. When adding
> fwnode support to clk framework, it was needed to add the
> equivalent of of_xlate() for fwnode (fwnode_xlate()). The number of
> cells used to describe a reference is still needed to do the
> translation using fwnode_property_get_reference_args() and give the
> correct arguments to fwnode_xlate().

What you described is the programming (overkilled) point. But does hardware
needs this? I.o.w. does it make sense in the _hardware_ description?

--
With Best Regards,
Andy Shevchenko