Date:   Mon, 28 Feb 2022 17:12:20 -0800
From:   Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
To:     Herbert Xu <herbert@...dor.apana.org.au>
Cc:     Giovanni Cabiddu <giovanni.cabiddu@...el.com>,
        Kyle Sanderson <kyle.leet@...il.com>,
        Dave Chinner <david@...morbit.com>, qat-linux@...el.com,
        Linux-Kernal <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        linux-xfs <linux-xfs@...r.kernel.org>,
        device-mapper development <dm-devel@...hat.com>,
        Greg KH <gregkh@...uxfoundation.org>
Subject: Re: Intel QAT on A2SDi-8C-HLN4F causes massive data corruption with
 dm-crypt + xfs

On Mon, Feb 28, 2022 at 3:26 PM Herbert Xu <herbert@...dor.apana.org.au> wrote:

> Indeed, qat has been disabled for dm-crypt since
>
> commit b8aa7dc5c7535f9abfca4bceb0ade9ee10cf5f54
> Author: Mikulas Patocka <mpatocka@...hat.com>
> Date:   Thu Jul 9 23:20:41 2020 -0700
>
>     crypto: drivers - set the flag CRYPTO_ALG_ALLOCATES_MEMORY
>
> So this should no longer be an issue with an up-to-date kernel.

Ok, that commit message doesn't exactly make it clear that it also
fixes a major disk corruption issue.

It sounds like it was incidental and almost accidental that it fixed
that thing, and nobody realized it should perhaps be also moved to
stable.

Oh, except I think you *also* need commit cd74693870fb ("dm crypt:
don't use drivers that have CRYPTO_ALG_ALLOCATES_MEMORY") that
actually reacts to that flag.

Which also wasn't marked for stable, and which is why 5.10 is ok, but
5.9 (which has that first commit, but not the second) is not ok.

Of course, maybe they got marked for stable separately and actually
have been back-ported, but it doesn't sound like that happened.. I
didn't actually check.

                  Linus