Date:   Tue, 1 Mar 2022 11:21:38 -0500
From:   "Michael S. Tsirkin" <mst@...hat.com>
To:     "Jason A. Donenfeld" <Jason@...c4.com>
Cc:     linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, kvm@...r.kernel.org,
        qemu-devel@...gnu.org, linux-hyperv@...r.kernel.org,
        linux-crypto@...r.kernel.org, graf@...zon.com,
        mikelley@...rosoft.com, gregkh@...uxfoundation.org,
        adrian@...ity.io, lersek@...hat.com, berrange@...hat.com,
        linux@...inikbrodowski.net, jannh@...gle.com, rafael@...nel.org,
        len.brown@...el.com, pavel@....cz, linux-pm@...r.kernel.org,
        colmmacc@...zon.com, tytso@....edu, arnd@...db.de
Subject: Re: propagating vmgenid outward and upward

On Tue, Mar 01, 2022 at 04:42:47PM +0100, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> Having finally wrapped up development of the initial vmgenid driver, I
> thought I'd pull together some thoughts on vmgenid, notification, and
> propagating, from disjointed conversations I've had with a few of you
> over the last several weeks.
>
> The basic problem is: VMs can be cloned, forked, rewound, or
> snapshotted, and when this happens, a) the RNG needs to reseed itself,
> and b) cryptographic algorithms that are not reuse resistant need to
> reinitialize in one way or another. For 5.18, we're handling (a) via the
> new vmgenid driver, which implements a spec from Microsoft, whereby the
> driver receives ACPI notifications when a 16 byte unique value changes.
>
> The vmgenid driver basically works, though it is racy, because that ACPI
> notification can arrive after the system is already running again. This
> race is even worse on Windows, where they kick the notification into a
> worker thread, which then publishes it upward elsewhere to another async
> mechanism, and eventually it hits the RNG and various userspace apps.
> On Linux it's not that bad -- we reseed immediately upon receiving the
> notification -- but it still inherits this same "push"-model deficiency,
> which a "pull"-model would not have.
>
> If we had a "pull" model, rather than just expose a 16-byte unique
> identifier, the vmgenid virtual hardware would _also_ expose a
> word-sized generation counter, which would be incremented every time the
> unique ID changed. Then, every time we would touch the RNG, we'd simply
> do an inexpensive check of this memremap()'d integer, and reinitialize
> with the unique ID if the integer changed. In this way, the race would
> be entirely eliminated. We would then be able to propagate this outwards
> to other drivers, by just exporting an extern symbol, in the manner of
> `jiffies`, and propagate it upwards to userspace, by putting it in the
> vDSO, in the manner of gettimeofday. And like that, there'd be no
> terrible async thing and things would work pretty easily.

I am not sure what the difference is though. So we have a 16 byte unique
value and you would prefer a dword counter. How is the former not a
superset of the later?  I'm not sure how safe it is to expose it to
userspace specifically, but rest of text talks about exposing it to a
kernel driver so maybe not an issue? So what makes interrupt driven
required, and why not just remap and read existing vmgenid in the pull
manner?  What did I miss?