Date:   Thu,  3 Mar 2022 14:23:33 +0900
From:   Byungchul Park <byungchul.park@....com>
To:     tytso@....edu
Cc:     damien.lemoal@...nsource.wdc.com, linux-ide@...r.kernel.org,
        linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org, viro@...iv.linux.org.uk,
        jack@...e.cz, jack@...e.com, jlayton@...nel.org,
        dan.j.williams@...el.com, hch@...radead.org, djwong@...nel.org,
        dri-devel@...ts.freedesktop.org, airlied@...ux.ie,
        rodrigosiqueiramelo@...il.com, melissa.srw@...il.com,
        hamohammed.sa@...il.com
Subject: Re: Report 2 in ext4 and journal based on v5.17-rc1

Ted wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 03, 2022 at 10:00:33AM +0900, Byungchul Park wrote:
> >
> > Unfortunately, it's neither perfect nor safe without another wakeup
> > source - rescue wakeup source.
> >
> >    consumer			producer
> >
> >				lock L
> >				(too much work queued == true)
> >				unlock L
> >				--- preempted
> >    lock L
> >    unlock L
> >    do work
> >    lock L
> >    unlock L
> >    do work
> >    (no work == true)
> >    sleep
> >				--- scheduled in
> >				sleep
>
> That's not how things work in ext4.  It's **way** more complicated

You seem to get it wrong. This example is what Jan Kara gave me. I just
tried to explain things based on Jan Kara's example so leaving all
statements that Jan Kara wrote. Plus the example was so helpful. Thanks,
Jan Kara.

> than that.  We have multiple wait channels, one wake up the consumer
> (read: the commit thread), and one which wakes up any processes
> waiting for commit thread to have made forward progress.  We also have
> two spin-lock protected sequence number, one which indicates the
> current commited transaction #, and one indicating the transaction #
> that needs to be committed.
>
> On the commit thread, it will sleep on j_wait_commit, and when it is
> woken up, it will check to see if there is work to be done
> (j_commit_sequence != j_commit_request), and if so, do the work, and
> then wake up processes waiting on the wait_queue j_wait_done_commit.
> (Again, all of this uses the pattern, "prepare to wait", then check to
> see if we should sleep, if we do need to sleep, unlock j_state_lock,
> then sleep.   So this prevents any races leading to lost wakeups.
>
> On the start_this_handle() thread, if we current transaction is too
> full, we set j_commit_request to its transaction id to indicate that
> we want the current transaction to be committed, and then we wake up
> the j_wait_commit wait queue and then we enter a loop where do a
> prepare_to_wait in j_wait_done_commit, check to see if
> j_commit_sequence == the transaction id that we want to be completed,
> and if it's not done yet, we unlock the j_state_lock spinlock, and go
> to sleep.  Again, because of the prepare_to_wait, there is no chance
> of a lost wakeup.

The above explantion gives me a clear view about synchronization of
journal things. I appreciate it.

> So there really is no "consumer" and "producer" here.  If you really
> insist on using this model, which really doesn't apply, for one

Dept does not assume "consumer" and "producer" model at all, but Dept
works with general waits and events. *That model is just one of them.*

> thread, it's the consumer with respect to one wait queue, and the
> producer with respect to the *other* wait queue.  For the other
> thread, the consumer and producer roles are reversed.
>
> And of course, this is a highly simplified model, since we also have a
> wait queue used by the commit thread to wait for the number of active
> handles on a particular transaction to go to zero, and
> stop_this_handle() will wake up commit thread via this wait queue when
> the last active handle on a particular transaction is retired.  (And
> yes, that parameter is also protected by a different spin lock which
> is per-transaction).

This one also gives me a clear view. Thanks a lot.

> So it seems to me that a fundamental flaw in DEPT's model is assuming
> that the only waiting paradigm that can be used is consumer/producer,

No, Dept does not.

> and that's simply not true.  The fact that you use the term "lock" is
> also going to lead a misleading line of reasoning, because properly

"lock/unlock L" comes from the Jan Kara's example. It has almost nothing
to do with the explanation. I just left "lock/unlock L" as a statement
that comes from the Jan Kara's example.

> speaking, they aren't really locks.  We are simply using wait channels

I totally agree with you. *They aren't really locks but it's just waits
and wakeups.* That's exactly why I decided to develop Dept. Dept is not
interested in locks unlike Lockdep, but fouces on waits and wakeup
sources itself. I think you get Dept wrong a lot. Please ask me more if
you have things you doubt about Dept.

Thanks,
Byungchul