Date:   Wed, 23 Mar 2022 21:23:44 +0000 (GMT)
From:   "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@...am.me.uk>
To:     Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
cc:     Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
        Dmitry Osipenko <dmitry.osipenko@...labora.com>,
        the arch/x86 maintainers <x86@...nel.org>
Subject: Re: [GIT pull] x86/irq for v5.18-rc1

On Mon, 21 Mar 2022, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Because that stupid IRT routing table code already been reported to cause bugs:
>
>     https://lore.kernel.org/all/a2791312-2957-27e6-43af-c805bbb90266@collabora.com/
>
> which seems to be because the $IRT signature check is complete garbage:
>
> > +       for (addr = (u8 *)__va(0xf0000); addr < (u8 *)__va(0x100000); addr++) {
> > +               rt = pirq_convert_irt_table(addr);
> > +               if (rt)
> > +                       return rt;
>
> The above doesn't seem like it could really ever have been tested
> properly, since it will walk off the end of that __va(0x100000)
> address: it will walk every byte up to the 1MB physical address, and
> it will try to find that $IRT signature there, but if it never finds
> it, IT WILL CHECK THE SIGNATURE PAST THE 1MB mark!

 Drat!  I did verify this code in a simulated environment that does supply
a $IRT table (for a reporter who has an actual system; I'm not lucky
enough to have one), however somehow I didn't think of verifying it with a
setup that has neither a $PIR nor a $IRT table.  Therefore this issue has
slipped ($PIR scanner works in 16-byte intervals, so it escapes the range
overrun), and then of course things started moving only while I am away
enjoying Italian mountains.  Oh well, nobody's perfect.

 Thanks for narrowing this down, I'll post a fixed version on or shortly
after this coming weekend.  And sorry for the mess-up!

  Maciej