Date:   Thu, 24 Mar 2022 14:48:24 +0100
From:   Oleksij Rempel <o.rempel@...gutronix.de>
To:     Vladimir Oltean <olteanv@...il.com>
Cc:     Andrew Lunn <andrew@...n.ch>,
        Vivien Didelot <vivien.didelot@...il.com>,
        Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@...il.com>,
        Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org>,
        Yangbo Lu <yangbo.lu@....com>, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
        linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, kernel@...gutronix.de
Subject: Re: sja1105q: proper way to solve PHY clk dependecy

Hello Vladimir,

thank you for your response!

On Wed, Mar 23, 2022 at 11:52:40AM +0200, Vladimir Oltean wrote:
> Hello Oleksij,
>
> On Wed, Mar 23, 2022 at 07:03:31AM +0100, Oleksij Rempel wrote:
> > Hi Vladimir,
> >
> > I have SJA1105Q based switch with 3 T1L PHYs connected over RMII
> > interface. The clk input "XI" of PHYs is connected to "MII0_TX_CLK/REF_CLK/TXC"
> > pins of the switch. Since this PHYs can't be configured reliably over MDIO
> > interface without running clk on XI input, i have a dependency dilemma:
> > i can't probe MDIO bus, without enabling DSA ports.
> >
> > If I see it correctly, following steps should be done:
> > - register MDIO bus without scanning for PHYs
> > - define SJA1105Q switch as clock provider and PHYs as clk consumer
> > - detect and attach PHYs on port enable if clks can't be controlled
> >   without enabling the port.
> > - HW reset line of the PHYs should be asserted if we disable port and
> >   deasserted with proper reinit after port is enabled.
> >
> > Other way would be to init and enable switch ports and PHYs by a bootloader and
> > keep it enabled.
> >
> > What is the proper way to go?

> The facts, as I see them, are as follows, feel free to debate them.
>
> 1. Scanning the bus is not the problem, but PHY probing is.
>
> If the MDIO bus is registered with of_mdiobus_register() - which is to
> be expected, since the sja1105 driver only connects to a PHY using a
> phy-handle - that should set mdio->phy_mask = ~0; which should disable
> PHY scanning.
>
> But of_mdiobus_register() will still call of_mdiobus_register_phy()
> which will probe the phy_device. Here, depending on the code path,
> _some_ PHY reads might be performed - which will return an error if the
> PHY is missing its clock. For example, if the PHY ID isn't part of the
> compatible string, fwnode_mdiobus_register_phy() will attempt to read it
> from the PHY via get_phy_device(). Alternatively, you could put the PHY
> ID in the DT and this will end up calling phy_device_create().
>
> Then there's the probe() method of the T1L PHY driver, which is the
> reason why it would be good to know what that driver is. Since its clock
> might not be available, I expect that this driver doesn't access
> hardware from probe(), knowing that it is an RMII PHY driver and this is
> a generic problem for RMII PHYs.

ack. describing DT with compatible PHYid seems to be good enough.

> 2. The sja1105 driver already does all it reasonably can to make the
>    RMII PHY happy.
>
> The clocks of a port are enabled/configured from sja1105_clocking_setup_port()
> which has 3 call paths:
> (a) during sja1105_setup(), aka during switch initialization, all ports
>     except RGMII ports have their clocks configured and enabled, via
>     priv->info->clocking_setup(). The RGMII ports have a clock that
>     depends upon the link speed, and we don't know the link speed.
> (b) during sja1105_static_config_reload(). The sja1105 switch needs to
>     dynamically reset itself at runtime, and this cuts off the clocks
>     for a while. Again there is a call to priv->info->clocking_setup()
>     here.
> (c) during phylink_mac_link_up -> sja1105_adjust_port_config(), a call
>     is made to sja1105_clocking_setup_port() for RGMII PHYs, because the
>     speed is now known.
>
> Since DSA calls dsa_slave_phy_setup() _after_ dsa_switch_setup(), this
> means that by the time the PHY is attached, its config_init() runs, etc,
> the RMII clock configured by sja1105_setup() should be running.

ack. it works.

> 3. Clock gating the PHY won't make it lose its settings.
>
> I expect that during the time when the sja1105 switch needs to reset,
> the PHY just sees this as a few hundreds of ms during which there are no
> clock edges on the crystal input pin. Sure, the PHY won't do anything
> during that time, but this is quite different from a reset, is it not?
> So asserting the hardware reset line of the PHY during the momentary
> loss of clock, which is what you seem to suggest, will actively do more
> harm than good.

can i be sure that MDIO access happens in the period where PHY is
supplied with stable clk

> 4. Making the sja1105 driver a clock provider doesn't solve the problem
>    in the general sense.
>
> If you make this PHY driver expect the MAC to be a clock provider,
> are you going to expect that all RMII-capable MAC drivers be patched?
> For this reason I am in principle opposed to making the sja1105 driver
> a clock provider, you won't be able to generalize this solution and it
> would just create a huge mess going forward.

I can imagine optional clk support, but right now i do not have any
stability issues so no need to spend time on it right now.

Regards,
Oleksij