Date:   Fri, 25 Mar 2022 11:27:41 +0000
From:   Robin Murphy <robin.murphy@....com>
To:     mbizon@...ebox.fr, Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>,
        Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <toke@...e.dk>
Cc:     Netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>, Kalle Valo <kvalo@...nel.org>,
        linux-wireless <linux-wireless@...r.kernel.org>,
        Oleksandr Natalenko <oleksandr@...alenko.name>,
        stable <stable@...r.kernel.org>,
        Halil Pasic <pasic@...ux.ibm.com>,
        iommu <iommu@...ts.linux-foundation.org>,
        Olha Cherevyk <olha.cherevyk@...il.com>,
        Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org>,
        Paolo Abeni <pabeni@...hat.com>,
        Christoph Hellwig <hch@....de>,
Subject: Re: [REGRESSION] Recent swiotlb DMA_FROM_DEVICE fixes break
 ath9k-based AP

On 2022-03-25 10:25, Maxime Bizon wrote:

> On Thu, 2022-03-24 at 12:26 -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>

>> It's actually very natural in that situation to flush the caches from
>> the CPU side again. And so dma_sync_single_for_device() is a fairly
>> reasonable thing to do in that situation.
>>

> In the non-cache-coherent scenario, and assuming dma_map() did an
> initial cache invalidation, you can write this:
>
> rx_buffer_complete_1(buf)
> {
> 	invalidate_cache(buf, size)
> 	if (!is_ready(buf))
> 		return;
> 	<proceed with receive>
> }
>
> or
>
> rx_buffer_complete_2(buf)
> {
> 	if (!is_ready(buf)) {
> 		invalidate_cache(buf, size)
> 		return;
> 	}
> 	<proceed with receive>
> }
>
> The latter is preferred for performance because dma_map() did the
> initial invalidate.
>
> Of course you could write:
>
> rx_buffer_complete_3(buf)
> {
> 	invalidate_cache(buf, size)
> 	if
> (!is_ready(buf)) {
> 		invalidate_cache(buf, size)
> 		return;
> 	}
>
> <proceed with receive>
> }
>

> but it's a waste of CPU cycles
>
> So I'd be very cautious assuming sync_for_cpu() and sync_for_device()
> are both doing invalidation in existing implementation of arch DMA ops,
> implementers may have taken some liberty around DMA-API to avoid
> unnecessary cache operation (not to blame them).

Right, if you have speculatively-prefetching caches, you have to
invalidate DMA_FROM_DEVICE in unmap/sync_for_cpu, since a cache may have
pulled in a snapshot of partly-written data at any point beforehand. But
if you don't, then you can simply invalidate up-front in
map/sync_for_device to tie in with the other directions, and trust that
it stays that way for the duration.

What muddies the waters a bit is that the opposite combination
sync_for_cpu(DMA_TO_DEVICE) really *should* always be a no-op, and I for
one have already made the case for eliding that in code elsewhere, but
it doesn't necessarily hold for the inverse here, hence why I'm not sure
there even is a robust common solution for peeking at a live
DMA_FROM_DEVICE buffer.

Robin.