Date:   Thu, 31 Mar 2022 10:14:34 +0800
From:   Ming Lei <ming.lei@...hat.com>
To:     Damien Le Moal <damien.lemoal@...nsource.wdc.com>
Cc:     James Bottomley <jejb@...ux.ibm.com>,
        John Garry <john.garry@...wei.com>,
        Andrea Righi <andrea.righi@...onical.com>,
        Martin Wilck <martin.wilck@...e.com>,
        Bart Van Assche <bvanassche@....org>,
        "Martin K. Petersen" <martin.petersen@...cle.com>,
        linux-scsi@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: filesystem corruption with "scsi: core: Reallocate device's
 budget map on queue depth change"

On Thu, Mar 31, 2022 at 07:30:35AM +0900, Damien Le Moal wrote:
> On 3/30/22 22:48, Ming Lei wrote:

> >> I can see how it becomes the problem: it frees and allocates a new
> >> bitmap across a queue freeze, but bits in the old one might still be in
> >> use.  This isn't a problem except when they return and we now possibly
> >> see a tag greater than we think we can allocate coming back.
> >> Presumably we don't check this and we end up doing a write to
> >> unallocated memory.
> >>
> >> I think if you want to reallocate on queue depth reduction, you might
> >> have to drain the queue as well as freeze it.
> >
> > After queue is frozen, there can't be any in-flight request/scsi
> > command, so the sbitmap is zeroed at that time, and safe to reallocate.
> >
> > The problem is aacraid specific, since the driver has hard limit
> > of 256 queue depth, see aac_change_queue_depth().
>
> 256 is the scsi hard limit per device... Any SAS drive has the same limit
> by default since there is no way to know the max queue depth of a scsi
> disk.So what is special about aacraid ?

I meant aac_change_queue_depth() sets hard limit of 256.

Yeah, for any hba driver which implements its own .change_queue_depth(),
there may be one hard limit there.

So I still don't understand why you mention '256 is the scsi hard limit per
device', and where is the code? If both .cma_per_lun and .can_queue are > 256
and the driver uses default scsi_change_queue_depth() and sdev->tagged_supported
is true, then user is free to change queue depth via /sys/block/$SDN/device/queue_depth
to > 256. It is same for SAS, see sas_change_queue_depth().

Also I am pretty sure some type of scsi device is capable of supporting >256 queue
depth, include sas, and sas usually has big queue depth.

Thanks,
Ming