Date:   Sat, 2 Apr 2022 16:50:05 +0800
From:   Feng Tang <feng.tang@...el.com>
To:     Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
Cc:     kernel test robot <oliver.sang@...el.com>,
        Yang Shi <shy828301@...il.com>,
        Baolin Wang <baolin.wang@...ux.alibaba.com>,
        Johannes Weiner <hannes@...xchg.org>,
        Oscar Salvador <osalvador@...e.de>,
        Michal Hocko <mhocko@...e.com>,
        Rik van Riel <riel@...riel.com>,
        Mel Gorman <mgorman@...hsingularity.net>,
        Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>,
        Dave Hansen <dave.hansen@...ux.intel.com>,
        Zi Yan <ziy@...dia.com>, Wei Xu <weixugc@...gle.com>,
        Shakeel Butt <shakeelb@...gle.com>,
        zhongjiang-ali <zhongjiang-ali@...ux.alibaba.com>,
        Randy Dunlap <rdunlap@...radead.org>,
        LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>, lkp@...ts.01.org,
        kernel test robot <lkp@...el.com>,
        "Huang, Ying" <ying.huang@...el.com>,
        Zhengjun Xing <zhengjun.xing@...ux.intel.com>,
        fengwei.yin@...el.com
Subject: Re: [NUMA Balancing] e39bb6be9f: will-it-scale.per_thread_ops 64.4%
 improvement

Hi Linus,

On Fri, Apr 01, 2022 at 09:35:24AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 1, 2022 at 2:42 AM kernel test robot <oliver.sang@...el.com> wrote:
> >
> > FYI, we noticed a 64.4% improvement of will-it-scale.per_thread_ops due to commit:
> > e39bb6be9f2b ("NUMA Balancing: add page promotion counter")
>
> That looks odd and unlikely.
>
> That commit only modifies some page counting statistics. Sure, it
> could be another cache layout thing, and maybe it's due to the subtle
> change in how NUMA_PAGE_MIGRATE gets counted, but it still looks a bit
> odd.

We did a quick check about cache stuff by disabling HW cache prefetch
completely (writing 0xf to MSR 0x1a4), and the performance change
is almost gone:

  ee97347fe058d020     e39bb6be9f2b39a6dbaeff48436
  ----------------     ---------------------------
    134793            -1.4%     132867        will-it-scale.per_thread_ops

The test box is a Cascadelake machine with 4 nodes, and the similar trend
is found on a 2 nodes machine, that the commit has 55% improvement with
HW cache prefetch enabled, and has less than 1% change when disabled.

Though we still cannot pin-point the exact place affected.

Also per our experience, the patch changing vm statistics can easily
trigger strange performance bumps for micro-benchmarks like will-it-scale,
stress-ng etc.

Thanks,
Feng