Date:   Mon, 4 Apr 2022 23:41:51 +1000
From:   Greg Ungerer <gerg@...ux-m68k.org>
To:     Arnd Bergmann <arnd@...db.de>,
        Christoph Hellwig <hch@...radead.org>
Cc:     Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>,
        Yoshinori Sato <ysato@...rs.sourceforge.jp>,
        linux-arch <linux-arch@...r.kernel.org>,
        "moderated list:H8/300 ARCHITECTURE"
        <uclinux-h8-devel@...ts.sourceforge.jp>,
        "open list:TENSILICA XTENSA PORT (xtensa)"
        <linux-xtensa@...ux-xtensa.org>, Max Filippov <jcmvbkbc@...il.com>,
        Linux-sh list <linux-sh@...r.kernel.org>,
        linux-m68k <linux-m68k@...ts.linux-m68k.org>,
        Damien Le Moal <damien.lemoal@....com>,
        linux-riscv <linux-riscv@...ts.infradead.org>
Subject: Re: [RFC PULL] remove arch/h8300

Hi Arnd,

On 4/4/22 23:07, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 3, 2022 at 2:43 PM Christoph Hellwig <hch@...radead.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 08, 2022 at 09:19:16AM +0100, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
>>> If there are no other objections, I'll just queue this up for 5.18 in
>>> the asm-generic
>>> tree along with the nds32 removal.
>>
>> So it is the last day of te merge window and arch/h8300 is till there.
>> And checking nw the removal has also not made it to linux-next.  Looks
>> like it is so stale that even the removal gets ignored :(
>
> I was really hoping that someone else would at least comment.
> I've queued it up now for 5.19.
>
> Should we garbage-collect some of the other nommu platforms where
> we're here? Some of them are just as stale:
>
> 1. xtensa nommu has does not compile in mainline and as far as I can
> tell never did
>     (there was https://github.com/jcmvbkbc/linux-xtensa/tree/xtensa-5.6-esp32,
> which
>     worked at some point, but I don't think there was enough interest
> to get in merged)
>
> 2. arch/sh Hitachi/Renesas sh2 (non-j2) support appears to be in a similar state
>      to h8300, I don't think anyone would miss it
>
> 8<----- This may we where we want to draw the line ----
>
> 3. arch/sh j2 support was added in 2016 and doesn't see a lot of
> changes, but I think
>      Rich still cares about it and wants to add J32 support (with MMU)
> in the future
>
> 4. m68k Dragonball, Coldfire v2 and Coldfire v3 are just as obsolete as SH2 as
>     hardware is concerned, but Greg Ungerer keeps maintaining it, along with the
>     newer Coldfire v4 (with MMU)

I have no plans to stop maintaining ColdFire v2 and v3 (and v4), FWIW.

But we could consider the Dragonball support for removal. I keep it compiling,
but I don't use it and can't test that it actually works. Not sure that it
has been used for a very long time now. And I didn't even realize but its
serial driver (68328serial.c) was removed in 2015. No one seems too have
noticed and complained.

Regards
Greg