Date:   Wed, 6 Apr 2022 10:14:21 -0400
From:   Steven Rostedt <rostedt@...dmis.org>
To:     Josh Poimboeuf <jpoimboe@...hat.com>
Cc:     Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
        Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>,
        kernel test robot <lkp@...el.com>, kbuild-all@...ts.01.org,
        linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, mbenes@...e.cz, x86@...nel.org
Subject: Re: drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915.prelink.o: warning: objtool:
 __intel_wait_for_register_fw.cold()+0xce: relocation to !ENDBR:
 vlv_allow_gt_wake.cold+0x0

On Tue, 5 Apr 2022 22:32:51 -0700
Josh Poimboeuf <jpoimboe@...hat.com> wrote:

> > See the comment in the header file you are patching:
> >
> >  * This is intended as a debugging tool for the developer only.
> >  * Please refrain from leaving trace_printks scattered around in
> >  * your code. (Extra memory is used for special buffers that are
> >  * allocated when trace_printk() is used.)
>
> So what do we do ... send a nastygram?

We already do. When anything with a trace_printk() is loaded, the dmesg
will display:

 **   NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE   **
 ** trace_printk() being used. Allocating extra memory.  **
 ** This means that this is a DEBUG kernel and it is     **
 ** unsafe for production use.                           **
 ** If you see this message and you are not debugging    **
 ** the kernel, report this immediately to your vendor!  **
 **   NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE   **