Date:   Mon, 11 Apr 2022 10:35:49 -0600
From:   Jeffrey Hugo <quic_jhugo@...cinc.com>
To:     Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>
CC:     Marc Zyngier <maz@...nel.org>,
Subject: Re: x86 multi-msi w/o iommu

On 4/9/2022 2:08 PM, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> Jeffrey!
>
> On Fri, Apr 08 2022 at 11:34, Jeffrey Hugo wrote:
>> I'd like to get multi-MSI without IOMMU working on x86. I'm hoping you
>> could help me understand the current state of things, and if there is
>> a path toward enabling this.
>
> Hope is definitely required here, but you did not explain yet WHY you
> want that to work. Making it work just because is not really a good
> starting point.

Arguably Linux exists "just because", but its a fair question.

Someone made a request for this.  Trying to figure out the logistics of
the request before responding to the requestor.

There is a particular device that due to hardware limitations (arguably
mistakes were made) it only supports MSI and it requires more than 1 MSI
to work.

While the device is documented as requiring an IOMMU on x86, the
requesting entity wants to use the device without an IOMMU in a unusual
setup and pointed it that it works (for some definition of working) on
other Operating Systems.  So from their viewpoint is not a system issue,
but a Linux issue.

Granted, I suspect you disagree with this being a Linux issue per the
below.  I'm trying to understand all of the aspects.

I suspect this is not the level of detail you would like, but from my
perspective parts of this situation are sensitive so I'm trying to
proceed as best I can currently (arguably with one hand tied behind my
back).  To be clear, this level of secrecy is unacceptable when working
with the community and if I were to move forward to propose changes
based on the information you've provided, I would be more transparent.

I greatly appreciate your response given the limitations in what I've
provided.

>> This is an overly simplistic assessment, but this reportedly works in
>> other OSes, so it looks like Linux is broken in comparison.
>>
>> In my investigation so far, the failure stems from
>> x86_vector_alloc_irqs() in arch/x86/kernel/apic/vector.c [1].
>
> The failure? That's not a failure, that's a deliberate decision.

I'm sorry, I choose my words poorly.  I was viewing things from the
perspective of reproducing the reported "issue" and seeing why that is
the case.  The device requests multiple MSIs and doesn't get them, which
is a "failure" from the perspective that the expectation is things work.

I do however see that this is deliberate per the code, and thus would
like to understand why.  Fundamentally, that is why I asked you for help.

 From one perspective, its a "failure", from another, its "working as
intended".  I did not intend any offense, and I'm more interested with
understanding the "why" than applying a specific label.

> [...]
>> to do a contigious range allocation, and refactor
>> x86_vector_alloc_irqs() to do that based on
>> X86_IRQ_ALLOC_CONTIGUOUS_VECTORS, but since it seems like that hasn't
>> been tackled in 5-7 years (depending on how you look at the history), I
>> suspect I'm missing something.
>
> There are two fundamental issues with multi-MSI:
>
>     1) General
>
>        a) Multi-MSI is a single MSI message. The device sets the vector
>           offset in the lower bits of message data.
>
>        b) As a consequence the Multi-MSI interrupts of a given device are
>           all affine to a single target and you cannot set affinity for
>           them separately, which limits the usefulness very much.
>
>     2) x86
>
>        a) Due to #1a this requires N consecutive vectors on one CPU and
>           these vectors have to be aligned so that the device can set the
>           vector offset into the lower bits of message data. The
>           alignment requirement depends on the number of vectors and is
>           always power of 2 in the range (2, 4, 8, 16, 32).
>
>           Easy to do in theory. But in practice there is the limited
>           vector space on x86 (~200) for device interrupts per CPU.
>
>           That creates a problem for allocations in general and for CPU
>           hotplug. On hotplug all active interrupts are moved away from
>           the outgoing CPU. Due to the alignment requirement this is
>           pretty much a guarantee for vector exhaustion.
>
>        b) Changing interrupt affinity for MSI w/o IOMMU is an interesting
>           exercise on X86 when the interrupt is not maskable, which is
>           unfortunately the case in the majority of MSI hardware
>           implementations.
>
>           In that case while the new vectors are installed interrupts can
>           be issued by the device. So you need to be very careful _not_
>           to lose an interrupt in the case that both the message address
>           (the target APIC) and the message data (the vector) are
>           changed. You can find the gory details in:
>
>                    arch/x86/kerne/apic/msi.c::msi_set_affinity()
>
>           and the related change logs espescially:
>           6f1a4891a592 ("x86/apic/msi: Plug non-maskable MSI affinity race")
>
>           Due to #1b changing interrupt affinity has to move _all_
>           vectors associated to the device at once, which makes this
>           excercise even more interesting.
>
>           This code is already horrible as hell and the thought alone to
>           expand it for multi MSI makes me shudder.
>
> Now with interrupt remapping all of the above goes away:
>
>      - The alignment problem and consecutive space issue moves into
>        the remap tables which have plenty of space.
>
>      - Each interrupts affinity can be individually controlled because
>        the affinity setting happens in the remap table and does not
>        require the horrors of the non remapped case.
>
> That means in Multi-MSI can be implemented on x86 w/o remapping, but is
> it worth the trouble? From looking at the problem space and under
> consideration that the advantage of multi-MSI is very limited the
> decision was made to not support it. That's not broken as you claim,
> that's a very reasonable technical decision.

Again, sorry I choose my words poorly.  I understand the summary of the
issues which lead to the decision, which I did not previously understand
before.  I think I need to dig into the references you provided to fully
comprehend the situation and come to the same conclusion.

I think the above is what I was looking for.  I thank you for
elaborating on the issues and pointing me toward where I can learn more.

>  From experimentation I know that multi-MSI w/o remapping has a very
> limited benefit because it cannot provide scalability through
> parallelism obviously. The only benefit is a clear separation of
> interrupt functionality which spares a MMIO read to get the pending bits
> and a few conditionals. Here is a trivial experiment to demonstrate the
> benefit or the lack of it:
>
>      Use a system with interrupt remapping and add a module parameter to
>      your driver which allows you to select ONE or MANY MSIs. Then run
>      performance tests with both setups.
>
> The result might not be what you expect depending on the device and the
> resulting interrupt patterns.

This is a fine suggestion and if it were possible, I would go forward
with it rather than investigate understanding the issues and developing
a solution to address them (under the assumption its possible, theory
and reality are often different).

Sadly, as mentioned, device limitations prevent operation with just one
MSI which is why I'm seeking to understand if multi-MSI with no IOMMU is
possible in Linux.  As you point out below sometimes software is put in
an unfortunate position ("between a rock and a hard place").  All I can
do is evaluate the various options and pick the least bad one.  Right
now, I don't know that $SUBJECT is the best option, but I think I can
evaluate it and compare based on your assistance.

> The problems of MSI are known since two decades, but hardware folks
> still insist on it. MSI-X exists for a reason, but sure it makes the
> chips $0.01 more expensive and lots of hardware people still work under
> the assumption that whatever they get wrong can be fixed in software,
> which is unfortunately wishful thinking >
> I hope this clarifies it for you.

Yes, very much so.  Thank you!

-Jeff