Date:   Wed, 13 Apr 2022 12:37:24 -0400
From:   "Liang, Kan" <kan.liang@...ux.intel.com>
To:     Ian Rogers <irogers@...gle.com>, Carel Si <beibei.si@...el.com>
Cc:     acme@...hat.com, alexander.shishkin@...ux.intel.com,
        alexandre.torgue@...s.st.com, ak@...ux.intel.com, mingo@...hat.com,
        james.clark@....com, jolsa@...nel.org, john.garry@...wei.com,
        mark.rutland@....com, mcoquelin.stm32@...il.com,
        namhyung@...nel.org, peterz@...radead.org, eranian@...gle.com,
        linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-mm@...ck.org, lkp@...ts.01.org,
        lkp@...el.com
Subject: Re: [LKP] Re: [perf vendor events] 3f5f0df7bf:
 perf-sanity-tests.perf_all_metrics_test.fail

On 4/13/2022 12:03 PM, Ian Rogers wrote:
> 3) Weak group doesn't fall back to no group:

That's because the group validation code doesn't take pinned events,
such as the NMI watchdog, into account.

I proposed a kernel patch to fix it, but it's rejected. It should be
hard to find a generic way to fix it from the kernel side.
https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/1565977750-76693-1-git-send-email-kan.liang@linux.intel.com/

Maybe we can workaround it from the perf tool side?
For example, for each weak group with cycles event and NMI watchdog is
enabled, add an extra cycles event when opening the group. If the open
fails with the extra cycles event, fall back to no group. After the
extra cycles event check, remove the extra cycles.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Kan