Date:   Fri, 22 Apr 2022 12:39:34 +0200
From:   Paul Heidekrüger <paul.heidekrueger@...tum.de>
To:     Nick Desaulniers <ndesaulniers@...gle.com>,
        "Jose E. Marchesi" <jemarch@....org>
Cc:     Alan Stern <stern@...land.harvard.edu>,
        Andrea Parri <parri.andrea@...il.com>,
        Will Deacon <will@...nel.org>,
        Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>,
        Boqun Feng <boqun.feng@...il.com>,
        Nicholas Piggin <npiggin@...il.com>,
        David Howells <dhowells@...hat.com>,
        Jade Alglave <j.alglave@....ac.uk>,
        Luc Maranget <luc.maranget@...ia.fr>,
        "Paul E. McKenney" <paulmck@...nel.org>,
        Akira Yokosawa <akiyks@...il.com>,
        Daniel Lustig <dlustig@...dia.com>,
        Joel Fernandes <joel@...lfernandes.org>,
        linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-arch@...r.kernel.org,
        llvm@...ts.linux.dev, Marco Elver <elver@...gle.com>,
        Charalampos Mainas <charalampos.mainas@...il.com>,
        Pramod Bhatotia <pramod.bhatotia@...tum.de>
Subject: Re: Dangerous addr to ctrl dependency transformation in
 fs/nfs/delegation.c::nfs_server_return_marked_delegations()?

On Thu, Apr 14, 2022 at 02:21:25PM -0700, Nick Desaulniers wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 7, 2022 at 8:22 AM Paul Heidekrüger
> <paul.heidekrueger@...tum.de> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > work on my dependency checker tool is progressing nicely, and it is
> > flagging, what I believe is, a harmful addr to ctrl dependency
> > transformation. For context, see [1] and [2]. I'm using the Clang
> > compiler.
> > [1]: https://linuxplumbersconf.org/event/7/contributions/821/attachments/598/1075/LPC_2020_--_Dependency_ordering.pdf
> > [2]: https://lore.kernel.org/llvm/YXknxGFjvaB46d%2Fp@Pauls-MacBook-Pro/T/#u
>
> Hi Paul,
> Thanks for the report and your (and your team's) work on this tool.
> Orthogonal to your report, Jose (cc'ed) and I are currently in the
> planning process to put together a Kernel+Toolchain microconference
> track at Linux Plumbers Conference [0] this year (Sept 12-14) in
> Dublin, Ireland.  Would you or someone from your group be able and
> interested in presenting more information about your work to an
> audience of kernel and toolchain developers at such an event?
>
> Would others be interested in such a topic? (What do they say in
> Starship Troopers...?...Would you like to know more?)
>
> [0] https://lpc.events/event/16/
> --
> Thanks,
> ~Nick Desaulniers

Hi Nick and Jose,

Many thanks for inviting us! I would love to do a talk at LPC! Hopefully
in person too.

Given that there have been several talks around this topic at LPC
already, it seems very fitting, and we'll hopefully have more to share
by then. Actually we have more to share already :-)

https://lore.kernel.org/all/YmKE%2FXgmRnGKrBbB@Pauls-MacBook-Pro.local/T/#u

I assume we will have to submit an abstract soon?

Many thanks,
Paul