Date:   Mon, 2 May 2022 11:00:38 -0600
From:   Jens Axboe <axboe@...nel.dk>
To:     Daniel Harding <dharding@...ing180.net>,
        Pavel Begunkov <asml.silence@...il.com>
Cc:     regressions@...ts.linux.dev, io-uring@...r.kernel.org,
        linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [REGRESSION] lxc-stop hang on 5.17.x kernels

On 5/2/22 7:59 AM, Jens Axboe wrote:
> On 5/2/22 7:36 AM, Daniel Harding wrote:
>>> Do you have a recipe to reproduce the hang? That would make it
>>> significantly easier to figure out.
>>
>> I can reproduce it with just the following:
>>
>>     sudo lxc-create --n lxc-test --template download --bdev dir --dir /var/lib/lxc/lxc-test/rootfs -- -d ubuntu -r bionic -a amd64
>>     sudo lxc-start -n lxc-test
>>     sudo lxc-stop -n lxc-test
>>
>> The lxc-stop command never exits and the container continues running.
>> If that isn't sufficient to reproduce, please let me know.
>
> Thanks, that's useful! I'm at a conference this week and hence have
> limited amount of time to debug, hopefully Pavel has time to take a look
> at this.

Didn't manage to reproduce. Can you try, on both the good and bad
kernel, to do:

# echo 1 > /sys/kernel/debug/tracing/events/io_uring/enable

run lxc-stop

# cp /sys/kernel/debug/tracing/trace ~/iou-trace

so we can see what's going on? Looking at the source, lxc is just using
plain POLL_ADD, so I'm guessing it's not getting a notification when it
expects to, or it's POLL_REMOVE not doing its job. If we have a trace
from both a working and broken kernel, that might shed some light on it.

--
Jens Axboe