Date:   Tue, 3 May 2022 15:30:08 +0200
From:   Andrea Merello <andrea.merello@...il.com>
To:     Andy Shevchenko <andy.shevchenko@...il.com>
Cc:     kernel test robot <lkp@...el.com>,
        Jonathan Cameron <jic23@...nel.org>,
        Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab+huawei@...nel.org>,
        linux-iio <linux-iio@...r.kernel.org>,
        devicetree <devicetree@...r.kernel.org>, kbuild-all@...ts.01.org,
        Lars-Peter Clausen <lars@...afoo.de>,
        Rob Herring <robh+dt@...nel.org>,
        Matt Ranostay <matt.ranostay@...sulko.com>,
        Alexandru Ardelean <ardeleanalex@...il.com>,
        jmondi <jacopo@...ndi.org>,
        Andrea Merello <andrea.merello@....it>
Subject: Re: [v5 12/14] iio: imu: add BNO055 serdev driver

Il giorno mar 3 mag 2022 alle ore 09:48 Andrea Merello
<andrea.merello@...il.com> ha scritto:

[...]

> > You need to add a C-file with the only line
> >
> > #include <..._trace.h>
> >
> > And drop that include from the _core.c.
>
> Hum, I'm a bit confused here: the bno055_ser_core.c file explicitly
> looks for that tracepoints (e.g. it calls trace_send_chunks() and
> friends); dropping the include prevents build here because there would
> be no definition for those tracepoints.
>
> There is already a C file bno055_ser_trace.c that just contains the
> said include and it defines CREATE_TRACE_POINTS; I see other drivers
> like dwc3 do the same..

Oops.. it turned out that I just had this almost-empty C file as
untracked in my git tree, and it ended up not being included in
patches also. Being it laying in my src tree caused the build to
succeed.

I have been misled by the other problem I (still) have (below); I was
focused on the wrong thing, sorry.