Date:   Wed, 4 May 2022 16:18:22 -0400
From:   Tom Talpey <tom@...pey.com>
To:     Paulo Alcantara <pc@....nz>, Steven French <sfrench@...ba.org>,
        Byron Stanoszek <gandalf@...ds.org>
Cc:     linux-cifs@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: CIFS regression mounting vers=1.0 NTLMSSP when hostname is too
 long

On 5/4/2022 3:15 PM, Paulo Alcantara wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> Steven French <sfrench@...ba.org> writes:
>
>> makes sense - do you see anything related in the NTLMSSP doc?
>
> I'll quote some relevant parts from MS-NLMP which make sense to me:
>
> 	3.1.5.1.2 Client Receives a CHALLENGE_MESSAGE from the Server
> 	If the NTLMSSP_NEGOTIATE_VERSION flag is set by the client application,
> 	the Version field MUST be set to the current version (section 2.2.2.10),
> 	and the Workstation field MUST be set to NbMachineName.
>
> 	3.2.1.1 Variables Internal to the Protocol
> 	NbMachineName: A string that indicates the NetBIOS machine name of the
> 	server.
>
> 	2.2.2.1 AV_PAIR
> 	MsvAvNbComputerName: The server's NetBIOS computer name. The name MUST
> 	be in Unicode, and is not null-terminated. This type of information MUST
> 	be present in the AV_pair list.
>
> and indeed we set NTLMSSP_NEGOTIATE_VERSION in
> fs/cifs/sess.c:build_ntlmssp_smb3_negotiate_blob().
>
> Unless I didn't miss anything obvious, I think we should be sending
> NetBIOS name or simply truncate utsname()->nodename to 16 bytes as
> previously proposed by Byron regardless what protocol version is being
> used.
>
> Tom, what is your opinion on that?

I think the most conservative and spec-compliant choice should be made.
SMB1 should not be pushing the envelope of interoperability, in this day
and age.

I believe the NetBIOS name is a fixed array of 16 octets, right? So, if
the nodename is shorter, it needs to be padded with 0's.

Did this code change recently? Why???

Tom.