Date:   Thu, 5 May 2022 09:45:14 +0100 (BST)
From:   "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@...am.me.uk>
To:     Bjorn Helgaas <helgaas@...nel.org>
cc:     Arnd Bergmann <arnd@...nel.org>,
        Niklas Schnelle <schnelle@...ux.ibm.com>,
        Arnd Bergmann <arnd@...db.de>,
        linux-arch <linux-arch@...r.kernel.org>,
        linux-pci <linux-pci@...r.kernel.org>,
        Dominik Brodowski <linux@...inikbrodowski.net>
Subject: Re: [RFC v2 25/39] pcmcia: add HAS_IOPORT dependencies

On Wed, 4 May 2022, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:

> >  Well, yes, except I would expect POWER9_CPU (and any higher versions we
> > eventually get) to clear HAS_IOPORT.  Generic configurations (GENERIC_CPU)
> > would set HAS_IOPORT of course, as would any lower architecture variants
> > that do or may support port I/O (it's not clear to me if there are any
> > that do not).  Ideally a generic configuration would not issue accesses to
> > random MMIO locations for port I/O accesses via `inb'/`outb', etc. for
> > systems that do not support port I/O (which it now does, or at least used
> > to until recently).
>
> It would seem weird to me that a module would build and run on a
> generic kernel running on POWER9 (with some safe way of handling
> inb/outb that don't actually work), but not on a kernel built
> specifically for POWER9_CPU.

 Why?  If you say configure your Alpha kernel for ALPHA_JENSEN, a pure
EISA system, then you won't get PCI support nor any PCI drivers offered
even though a generic Alpha kernel will get them all and still run on a
Jensen system.  I find that no different from our case here.

 And if we do ever get TURBOchannel Alpha support, then a generic kernel
configuration will offer EISA, PCI and TURBOchannel drivers, while you
won't be offered TURBOchannel drivers for a PCI system and vice versa.
It would make no sense to me.

 Please mind that the main objective for system-specific configurations is
optimisation, including both size and speed, and a part of the solution is
discarding stuff that's irrelevant for the respective system.  So in our
case we do want any port I/O code not to be there at all in compiled code
and consequently any driver that absolutely requires port I/O code to work
will have to become a useless stub in its compiled form.  What would be
the point then of having it there in the first place except to spread
confusion?

  Maciej