Date:   Sat, 7 May 2022 11:27:42 +0800
From:   Aaron Lu <aaron.lu@...el.com>
To:     "ying.huang@...el.com" <ying.huang@...el.com>
CC:     Mel Gorman <mgorman@...hsingularity.net>,
        kernel test robot <oliver.sang@...el.com>,
        Vlastimil Babka <vbabka@...e.cz>,
        Dave Hansen <dave.hansen@...ux.intel.com>,
        Jesper Dangaard Brouer <brouer@...hat.com>,
        Michal Hocko <mhocko@...nel.org>,
        LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>, <lkp@...ts.01.org>,
        <lkp@...el.com>, <feng.tang@...el.com>,
        <zhengjun.xing@...ux.intel.com>, <fengwei.yin@...el.com>
Subject: Re: [mm/page_alloc]  f26b3fa046:  netperf.Throughput_Mbps -18.0%
 regression

On Sat, May 07, 2022 at 08:54:35AM +0800, ying.huang@...el.com wrote:
> On Fri, 2022-05-06 at 20:17 +0800, Aaron Lu wrote:

> > > IMHO, this means the consumer and producer are running on different
> > > CPUs.
> > >

> > Right.

> > > Per my understanding, not only the cache size is larger, but also the L2
> > > cache (1MB) is per-core on this machine.  So if the consumer and
> > > producer are running on different cores, the cache-hot page may cause
> > > more core-to-core cache transfer.  This may hurt performance too.
> > >

> > Client side allocates skb(page) and server side recvfrom() it.
> > recvfrom() copies the page data to server's own buffer and then releases
> > the page associated with the skb. Client does all the allocation and
> > server does all the free, page reuse happens at client side.
> > So I think core-2-core cache transfer due to page reuse can occur when
> > client task migrates.
>
> The core-to-core cache transfering can be cross-socket or cross-L2 in
> one socket.  I mean the later one.
>
> > I have modified the job to have the client and server bound to a
> > specific CPU of different cores on the same node, and testing it on the
> > same Icelake 2 sockets server, the result is
> >
> >   kernel      throughput
> > 8b10b465d0e1     125168
> > f26b3fa04611     102039 -18%
> >
> > It's also a 18% drop. I think this means c2c is not a factor?
>
> Can you test with client and server bound to 2 hardware threads
> (hyperthread) of one core?  The two hardware threads of one core will
> share the L2 cache.

8b10b465d0e1: 89702
f26b3fa04611: 95823 +6.8%

When binding client and server on the 2 threads of the same core, the
bisected commit is an improvement now on this 2 sockets Icelake server.

> > > Per my understanding, the L2 cache on this desktop machine is shared
> > > among cores.
> > >

> > The said CPU is i7-6700 and according to this wikipedia page,
> > L2 is per core:
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skylake_(microarchitecture)#Mainstream_desktop_processors
>
> Sorry, my memory was wrong.  The skylake and later server has much
> larger private L2 cache (1MB vs 256KB of client), this may increase the
> possibility of core-2-core transfering.

I'm trying to understand where is the core-2-core cache transfer.

When server needs to do the copy in recvfrom(), there is core-2-core
cache transfer from client cpu to server cpu. But this is the same no
matter page gets reused or not, i.e. the bisected commit and its parent
doesn't have any difference in this step. Then when page gets reused in
the client side, there is no core-2-core cache transfer as the server
side didn't do write to the page's data. So page reuse or not, it
shouldn't cause any difference regarding core-2-core cache transfer.
Is this correct?