Date:   Mon, 9 May 2022 21:22:25 -0700
From:   Wei Xu <weixugc@...gle.com>
To:     Hesham Almatary <hesham.almatary@...wei.com>
Cc:     Yang Shi <shy828301@...il.com>,
        Dave Hansen <dave.hansen@...ux.intel.com>,
        Huang Ying <ying.huang@...el.com>,
        Dan Williams <dan.j.williams@...el.com>,
        Linux MM <linux-mm@...ck.org>,
        Greg Thelen <gthelen@...gle.com>,
        "Aneesh Kumar K.V" <aneesh.kumar@...ux.ibm.com>,
        Jagdish Gediya <jvgediya@...ux.ibm.com>,
        Alistair Popple <apopple@...dia.com>,
        Davidlohr Bueso <dave@...olabs.net>,
        Michal Hocko <mhocko@...nel.org>,
        Baolin Wang <baolin.wang@...ux.alibaba.com>,
        Brice Goglin <brice.goglin@...il.com>,
        Feng Tang <feng.tang@...el.com>,
        Tim Chen <tim.c.chen@...ux.intel.com>
Subject: Re: RFC: Memory Tiering Kernel Interfaces

On Mon, May 9, 2022 at 7:32 AM Hesham Almatary
<hesham.almatary@...wei.com> wrote:

> [...]
> >> so, we can remove node_demotion[] entirely and add a tier field to
> >> NODE_DATA for node_to_tier().

> >> I agree. But before we have such a firmware, the kernel needs to do
> >> its best to initialize memory tiers.
> >>
> >> Given that we know PMEM is slower than DRAM, but a dax device might
> >> not be PMEM, a better place to set the tier for PMEM nodes can be the
> >> ACPI code, e.g. acpi_numa_memory_affinity_init() where we can examine
> >> the ACPI_SRAT_MEM_NON_VOLATILE bit.
> > This is why I hope firmware could chime in, for example, we may have a
> > new field, called "Tier", in HMAT. Then kernel just reads the field
> > and put the node into proper tier. But of course override by kernel
> > could be allowed.

> >> You mean to only support MAX_TIERS=2 for now.  I am fine with that.
> >> There can be systems with 3 tiers, e.g. GPU -> DRAM -> PMEM, but it is
> >> not clear yet whether we want to enable transparent memory tiering to
> >> all the 3 tiers on such systems.
> > Just start from something simple. And we should fully utilize the
> > nearest lower tier before demoting to lower lower tiers.
> There might still be simple cases/topologies where we might want to "skip"
> the very next lower tier. For example, assume we have a 3 tiered memory
> system as follows:
>
> node 0 has a CPU and DDR memory in tier 0, node 1 has GPU and DDR memory
> in tier 0,
> node 2 has NVMM memory in tier 1, node 3 has some sort of bigger memory
> (could be a bigger DDR or something) in tier 2. The distances are as
> follows:
>
> --------------          --------------
> |   Node 0   |          |   Node 1   |
> |  -------   |          |  -------   |
> | |  DDR  |  |          | |  DDR  |  |
> |  -------   |          |  -------   |
> |            |          |            |
> --------------          --------------
>         | 20               | 120    |
>         v                  v        |
> ----------------------------       |
> | Node 2     PMEM          |       | 100
> ----------------------------       |
>         | 100                       |
>         v                           v
> --------------------------------------
> | Node 3    Large mem                |
> --------------------------------------
>
> node distances:
> node   0    1    2    3
>     0  10   20   20  120
>     1  20   10  120  100
>     2  20  120   10  100
>     3  120 100  100   10
>
> /sys/devices/system/node/memory_tiers
> 0-1
> 2
> 3
>
> N_TOPTIER_MEMORY: 0-1
>

> In this case, we want to be able to "skip" the demotion path from Node 1
> to Node 2,
>
> and make demotion go directely to Node 3 as it is closer, distance wise.
> How can
>
> we accommodate this scenario (or at least not rule it out as future

This is an interesting example.  I think one way to support this is to
allow all the lower tier nodes to be the demotion targets of a node in
the higher tier.  We can then use the allocation fallback order to
select the best demotion target.

For this example, we will have the demotion targets of each node as:

node 0: allowed=2-3, order (based on allocation fallback order): 2, 3
node 1: allowed=2-3, order (based on allocation fallback order): 3, 2
node 2: allowed = 3, order (based on allocation fallback order): 3
node 3: allowed = empty

What do you think?