Date:   Mon, 9 May 2022 21:32:10 -0700
From:   Wei Xu <weixugc@...gle.com>
To:     Alistair Popple <apopple@...dia.com>
Cc:     Yang Shi <shy828301@...il.com>,
        Dave Hansen <dave.hansen@...ux.intel.com>,
        Huang Ying <ying.huang@...el.com>,
        Dan Williams <dan.j.williams@...el.com>,
        Linux MM <linux-mm@...ck.org>,
        Greg Thelen <gthelen@...gle.com>,
        "Aneesh Kumar K.V" <aneesh.kumar@...ux.ibm.com>,
        Jagdish Gediya <jvgediya@...ux.ibm.com>,
        Davidlohr Bueso <dave@...olabs.net>,
        Michal Hocko <mhocko@...nel.org>,
        Baolin Wang <baolin.wang@...ux.alibaba.com>,
        Brice Goglin <brice.goglin@...il.com>,
        Feng Tang <feng.tang@...el.com>,
        Jonathan Cameron <Jonathan.Cameron@...wei.com>,
        Tim Chen <tim.c.chen@...ux.intel.com>
Subject: Re: RFC: Memory Tiering Kernel Interfaces

On Thu, May 5, 2022 at 5:19 PM Alistair Popple <apopple@...dia.com> wrote:

> Wei Xu <weixugc@...gle.com> writes:
>
> [...]
> >>
> >> With the topology built by firmware we should not need this.
>
> I agree that in an ideal world the hierarchy should be built by firmware based
> on something like the HMAT. But I also think being able to override this will be
> useful in getting there. Therefore a way of overriding the generated hierarchy
> would be good, either via sysfs or kernel boot parameter if we don't want to
> commit to a particular user interface now.
>
> However I'm less sure letting device-drivers override this is a good idea. How
> for example would a GPU driver make sure it's node is in the top tier? By moving
> every node that the driver does not know about out of N_TOPTIER_MEMORY? That
> could get messy if say there were two drivers both of which wanted their node to
> be in the top tier.

The suggestion is to allow a device driver to opt out its memory
devices from the top-tier, not the other way around.

I agree that the kernel should still be responsible for the final
node-tier assignment by taking into account all factors: the firmware
tables, device driver requests, and user-overrides (kernel argument or
sysfs).