Date:   Tue, 10 May 2022 15:37:33 +1000
From:   Alistair Popple <apopple@...dia.com>
To:     Wei Xu <weixugc@...gle.com>
Cc:     Yang Shi <shy828301@...il.com>,
        Dave Hansen <dave.hansen@...ux.intel.com>,
        Huang Ying <ying.huang@...el.com>,
        Dan Williams <dan.j.williams@...el.com>,
        Linux MM <linux-mm@...ck.org>,
        Greg Thelen <gthelen@...gle.com>,
        "Aneesh Kumar K.V" <aneesh.kumar@...ux.ibm.com>,
        Jagdish Gediya <jvgediya@...ux.ibm.com>,
        Davidlohr Bueso <dave@...olabs.net>,
        Michal Hocko <mhocko@...nel.org>,
        Baolin Wang <baolin.wang@...ux.alibaba.com>,
        Brice Goglin <brice.goglin@...il.com>,
        Feng Tang <feng.tang@...el.com>,
        Jonathan Cameron <Jonathan.Cameron@...wei.com>,
        Tim Chen <tim.c.chen@...ux.intel.com>
Subject: Re: RFC: Memory Tiering Kernel Interfaces

Wei Xu <weixugc@...gle.com> writes:

> On Thu, May 5, 2022 at 5:19 PM Alistair Popple <apopple@...dia.com> wrote:
>>
>> Wei Xu <weixugc@...gle.com> writes:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> I agree that in an ideal world the hierarchy should be built by firmware based
>> on something like the HMAT. But I also think being able to override this will be
>> useful in getting there. Therefore a way of overriding the generated hierarchy
>> would be good, either via sysfs or kernel boot parameter if we don't want to
>> commit to a particular user interface now.
>>
>> However I'm less sure letting device-drivers override this is a good idea. How
>> for example would a GPU driver make sure it's node is in the top tier? By moving
>> every node that the driver does not know about out of N_TOPTIER_MEMORY? That
>> could get messy if say there were two drivers both of which wanted their node to
>> be in the top tier.
>
> The suggestion is to allow a device driver to opt out its memory
> devices from the top-tier, not the other way around.

So how would demotion work in the case of accelerators then? In that
case we would want GPU memory to demote to DRAM, but that won't happen
if both DRAM and GPU memory are in N_TOPTIER_MEMORY and it seems the
only override available with this proposal would move GPU memory into a
lower tier, which is the opposite of what's needed there.