Date:   Wed, 11 May 2022 10:23:21 -0700
From:   Rob Clark <robdclark@...il.com>
To:     Daniel Vetter <daniel@...ll.ch>
Cc:     Sean Paul <sean@...rly.run>,
        freedreno <freedreno@...ts.freedesktop.org>,
        Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu.vizoso@...labora.com>,
        "open list:DOCUMENTATION" <linux-doc@...r.kernel.org>,
        Jonathan Corbet <corbet@....net>,
        Abhinav Kumar <quic_abhinavk@...cinc.com>,
        dri-devel <dri-devel@...ts.freedesktop.org>,
        LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        Michel Dänzer <michel.daenzer@...lbox.org>,
        Thomas Zimmermann <tzimmermann@...e.de>,
        linux-arm-msm <linux-arm-msm@...r.kernel.org>,
Subject: Re: [Freedreno] Adding CI results to the kernel tree was Re: [RFC v2]
 drm/msm: Add initial ci/ subdirectory

On Wed, May 11, 2022 at 9:43 AM Daniel Vetter <daniel@...ll.ch> wrote:

> [...]
> > On Wed, May 11, 2022 at 4:50 AM Greg Kroah-Hartman
> > <gregkh@...uxfoundation.org> wrote:

> > > Shouldn't "expected result" always be "pass"?
> > >
> > > If not, then the test should be changed to be "skipped" like we have
> > > today in the kselftest tests.
> >
> > No, we want to run tests even if they are expected to fail.  This
> > prevents the scenario of a test getting fixed without being noticed
> > (for ex, developer was working on fixing test A and didn't notice that
> > the fix also fixed test B).  If a fix goes unnoticed, a later
> > regression would also go unnoticed ;-)
> >
> > I was skeptical about this approach at first with mesa CI, but having
> > used mesa CI for a while, I am now a firm believer in the approach.
> >
> > And ofc we want the expectations to be in the kernel tree because
> > there could be, for example, differences between -fixes and -next
> > branches.  (Or even stable kernel branches if/when we get to the point
> > of running CI on those.)
>
> Yeah result files in tree is kinda needed, even more so for the
> kernel. A lot of the linux-next integration testing is only done after
> patches have landed, and sometimes such breakage makes it to upstream
> and then into the subsystem/driver tree. Annotating in the backmerge
> what exactly broke and why helps a lot with tracking issues.
>
> And expecting every subsystem to run every other subsystem's tests,
> especially tests that run on hw, is just not going to scale. So there
> will be all kinds of difference in test results.
>
> > > And how about tieing this into the kselftest process as well, why would
> > > this be somehow separate from the rest of the kernel tests?

> > > Again, "pass" should be the expected results :)

> > > We have in-kernel tests for the rest of the kernel, why can't you put
> > > your testing stuff into there as well?
> >
> > We could ofc put a lot more of the gitlab yml and scripts into the
> > kernel tree.  Probably all of i-g-t is a bit much to put in the kernel
> > tree.  Not to mention I'd like to see this expand to also run some
> > deqp and/or piglit tests, which is definitely too much to vendor into
> > the kernel tree.
> >
> > The approach of this RFC was to put only what was absolutely required
> > in the kernel tree (such as expectations), and then link out to an
> > external drm-ci tree[1] which has all the necessary scripts and yml
> > for building and running tests, to avoid having to put a whole lot
> > more in the kernel tree. (We should be specifying exact commit-sha for
> > that tree, IMO, as it controls the version of i-g-t which gets used,
> > and we need to be able to update expectations in sync with an i-g-t
> > uprev, for example when new tests are added or if a test fix caused a
> > fail->pass transition.)
>
> Yeah I think longer-term we should carry a lot more in upstream, at
> least anything that's shared across drivers wrt the ci integration (or
> build testing and running tests which are hw agnostic). Maybe even
> igt, not sure (otoh xfs-tests isn't moving into the kernel either, and

A lot of the drm-ci tree is the scripts/etc for things like power
control, booting, etc.. and a lot of that is identical to what we have
in the mesa tree (since the on-hw tests run on the same CI farms as
mesa-ci)

But ofc it can be re-used by other drivers via one line in toplevel
$driver/ci/gitlab-ci.yml, ie:

  DRM_CI_PROJECT_PATH: &drm-ci-project-path gfx-ci/drm-ci

BR,
-R