Date:   Fri, 13 May 2022 10:58:17 +0200
From:   Etienne Carriere <etienne.carriere@...aro.org>
To:     Sudeep Holla <sudeep.holla@....com>
Cc:     Nicolas Frattaroli <frattaroli.nicolas@...il.com>,
        Cristian Marussi <cristian.marussi@....com>,
        linux-arm-kernel@...ts.infradead.org,
        linux-rockchip@...ts.infradead.org,
        Heiko Stuebner <heiko@...ech.de>,
        Liang Chen <cl@...k-chips.com>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
        Kever Yang <kever.yang@...k-chips.com>,
        Jeffy Chen <jeffy.chen@...k-chips.com>,
        Peter Geis <pgwipeout@...il.com>
Subject: Re: [BUG] New arm scmi check in linux-next causing rk3568 not to boot
 due to firmware bug

Hello all,

On Thu, 12 May 2022 at 16:34, Sudeep Holla <sudeep.holla@....com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 12, 2022 at 01:11:22PM +0200, Nicolas Frattaroli wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > sorry for the late reply, completely missed that there was a question
> > for me in this mail.
> >
> > On Donnerstag, 5. Mai 2022 11:40:09 CEST Etienne Carriere wrote:
> > > Hello Nicolas, Cristian,
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > Indeed the firmware implementation is wrong in TF-A.
> > > And also in OP-TEE by the way:
> > > https://github.com/OP-TEE/optee_os/blob/3.17.0/core/drivers/scmi-msg/base.c#L163-L166
> > >
> > > @Nicoals, do you want to send a patch to TF-A, or do you want me to do it?
> >
> > I have no experience with TF-A, so I'd prefer if you could do it.
> >
> > In good news, Rockchip has confirmed they're preparing to release RK356x
> > TF-A sources, so I'll be able to port the patch over to their sources once
> > they are released, if they don't already apply it themselves.
> >

> So, there is no way to get a blob release with the patch applied ?
> We know it is a bug in TF-A and if Rockchip is using that codebase, it
> will be the same bug there too causing this issue. Waiting until the
> code is released and the proper TF-A port is done may not be acceptable
> for many developers. So someone from the rockchip doing these tf-a blob
> release must get involved here, understand the situation and get the fixed.
>
> We can workaround, but I want to hear that it will be fixed instead of
> getting ignored until proper port is available.
>
> Etienne, are you not the author for the related TF-A code ? How can we
> get that fixed in the TF-A code base. If you are not, then I will try to
> get my repo login credentials sorted so that I can only push TF-A change.

Yes, I'm the author of the code.
I have created a gerrit change in TF-A to fix the issue:
https://review.trustedfirmware.org/c/TF-A/trusted-firmware-a/+/15196

OP-TEE implementation also embeds the same scmi-msg drivers and have
the same issue.
I should be fixed by P-R: https://github.com/OP-TEE/optee_os/pull/5334
I will ask TF-A if this specific change can hit TF-A release v2.7 tag,
if posisble.

Feedbacks are welcome on these 2 forums.

Regards,
etienne