Date:   Mon, 23 May 2022 15:13:07 -0700
From:   Trilok Soni <quic_tsoni@...cinc.com>
To:     Bjorn Andersson <bjorn.andersson@...aro.org>
CC:     Krzysztof Kozlowski <krzysztof.kozlowski@...aro.org>,
        Konrad Dybcio <konrad.dybcio@...ainline.org>,
        <agross@...nel.org>, <arnd@...db.de>, <devicetree@...r.kernel.org>,
        <linux-arm-msm@...r.kernel.org>, <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        <olof@...om.net>, <robh@...nel.org>, <sboyd@...nel.org>
Subject: Re: Removal of qcom,board-id and qcom,msm-id

Hi Bjorn,

On 5/23/2022 2:34 PM, Bjorn Andersson wrote:
> On Mon 23 May 11:41 CDT 2022, Trilok Soni wrote:
>
>> Hello Krzysztof,

>>> This would mean that dtbTool as described in the actual patch [1] is not
>>> used and bootloader ignores the table. If that's the case, the commit
>>> and requirement of such complex board-foundry-pmic-compatibles should be
>>> dropped. So I am getting now to what Dmitry said...
>>>
>>> [1]
>>> https://lore.kernel.org/all/1448062280-15406-2-git-send-email-sboyd@codeaurora.org/
>>

>> The link above is from 2015. Lot has changed downstream. Most of what was
>> mentioned by Konrad is right. Application bootloader acts on picking on
>> platform DTBO based on the platform ID plus some combinations like PMIC etc;
>> These platform DTBOs gets overlay on top of SOC DTB by the Application
>> bootloader.
>>
>> We have moved to DTBO for all the latest targets, but I can understand that
>> some old targets at upstream could be using the very old approaches.
>>
>> Downstream all of the platforms including the DTBO files will need board-id
>> and msm-id since we also do the compile time stitching of dtb + dtbo and
>> dtbo + dtbo to generate the proper SOC DTB and PLATFORM DTBOs which gets
>> flashed in the DTBO partition and follows the Android boot requirements.
>> Application bootloader then picks the right Platform DTBO as mentioned above
>> w/ the right SOC DTB. It gets more complicated w/ GKI new requirements every
>> year (better for GKI, may not be better for upstream kernel + downstream
>> bootloader combination).
>>

> FWIW, this doesn't fit with the upstream model at all. In particular the
> DTBO that comes with the devices are not compatible with any upstream
> DTB.
>
> As such, the first step to run an upstream DTB+kernel is to zero out the
> dtbo partitions.
>

> With the DTBO cleared, most devices (all Qualcomm reference devices) can
> be booted with the dtb appended to the Image.gz, without the
> qcom,{board,msm}-id. As such I would say things are working okay
> currently.

Thanks. Yup, I know things are working fine right now. May be we can
look at changing the downstream bootloader so that you don't need to
erase the DTBO partition for reference/unlocked devices. No promise, but
it will make easy for anyone do the upstream development on the
reference devices.

---Trilok Soni