Date:   Thu, 26 May 2022 17:42:34 +0200
From:   Borislav Petkov <bp@...en8.de>
To:     Ritesh Harjani <ritesh.list@...il.com>
Cc:     linux-ext4 <linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org>,
        lkml <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        Vaibhav Jain <vaibhav@...ux.ibm.com>, Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>,
        Theodore Ts'o <tytso@....edu>
Subject: Re: EXT4-fs error (device sda5) in ext4_update_backup_sb:165:
 Filesystem failed CRC

On Thu, May 26, 2022 at 08:24:02PM +0530, Ritesh Harjani wrote:
> Could you please help us understand little more about your setup. Is
> this (sda5) somehow a backup image saved/restored using e2image?

Nah, just a separate, normal partition.

> So, recently I have also been reported with a similar problem, where in filesystem
> image which was saved using e2image on v5.17 kernel (with e2fsck 1.45.5 (07-Jan-2020)).
> Then on upgrading the kernel to v5.18, when this FS image (via e2image) was mounted
> using loop device (or restored to a block device), the above error messages
> were observed.

That could be the case. See, this box is simply a test laptop where I
boot kernels all the time and userspace doesn't get updated, pretty
much. So if old tools massage the superblock and new kernels then touch
it again, that could mean there's some discrepancy there... but what do
I know - I have not clue about fs.

In any case, 5.18-rc7+ didn't have those earlier messages but simply:

EXT4-fs (sda5): warning: mounting fs with errors, running e2fsck is recommended
EXT4-fs (sda5): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Quota mode: disabled.

but I haven't run any fsck yet. Since this is a test box, it doesn't
matter a whole lot, though.

Thx.

--
Regards/Gruss,