Date:   Mon, 30 May 2022 08:58:47 +0200
From:   Arnd Bergmann <arnd@...db.de>
To:     Chester Lin <clin@...e.com>
Cc:     Olof Johansson <olof@...om.net>, Arnd Bergmann <arnd@...db.de>,
        arm@...nel.org, soc@...nel.org,
        linux-arm-kernel@...ts.infradead.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
        Andreas Färber <afaerber@...e.de>,
        Matthias Brugger <mbrugger@...e.com>, s32@....com,
        Fabio Estevam <festevam@...il.com>
Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] arm64: s32g changes for v5.19

On Mon, May 30, 2022 at 8:21 AM Chester Lin <clin@...e.com> wrote:

> s32g changes for v5.19

> Chester Lin (1):
>       MAINTAINERS: add a new reviewer for S32G
>
> Fabio Estevam (1):
>       Pass unit name to soc node to fix the following W=1 build warning:

The patches look fine, but there are a few minor problems with the
submission:

- The branch is based on top of a random commit from the mainline repository,
  you should instead always base this on top of an -rc tag in order to not
  clutter up the git history or make bisection unnecessarily hard. My 'arm/late'
  branch is currently based on a random commit 16477cdfefdb ("Merge tag
  'asm-generic-5.19' of
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/arnd/asm-generic")
  as well, but this is an exception and I will explain it when I send the pull
  request ;-)

- The tag description is only a single line, there should be at least some
  content in here. Please have a look at other merge commits to see what
  you can put in here. For a small number of independent patches like
  these two, you can also just forward them to soc@...nel.org as
  individual emails without a tag.

- The subject lines of the individual emails should have the right namespace
  listed in them, e.g. 'arm64: s32g: ...'.  Fabio's patch originally had
  this, but it looks like the entire subject line got lost.

- The subject for the pull request indicates that this is meant as your normal
  submission, but this is the wrong time for that, because the merge window
  is currently open. At this point, only bugfixes get merged, but I do classify
  MAINTAINERS changes as bugfixes, so this is actually ok, just change the
  subject.

Please address these and resend.

         Arnd