Date:   Tue, 31 May 2022 15:09:02 -0400
From:   Sean Anderson <sean.anderson@...o.com>
To:     Madalin Bucur <madalin.bucur@....com>,
        netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
        Florinel Iordache <florinel.iordache@....com>
Subject: net: fman: IRQ races

Hi all,

I'm doing some refactoring of the dpaa/fman drivers, and I'm a bit
confused by the way IRQs are handled. To contrast, in GAM/MACB, one of
the first things IRQ handler does is grab a spinlock guarding register
access. This lets it do read/modify/writes all it wants. However, I
don't see anything like that in the FMan code. I'd like to use two
examples to illustrate.

First, consider call_mac_isr. It will race with both fman_register_intr:

CPU0 (call_mac_isr)		CPU1 (fman_register_intr)
				isr_cb = foo
isr_cb(src_handle)
				src_handle = bar

and with fman_unregister_intr

CPU0 (call_mac_isr)		CPU1 (fman_unregister_intr)
if (isr_cb)
				isr_cb = NULL
				src_handle = NULL
isr_cb(src_handle)

This is probably not too critical (since hopefully there are no
interrupts before/after the handler is registered), but it certainly
looks very strange.

Second, consider dtsec_isr. It will race with (for example) dtsec_set_allmulti:

CPU0 (dtsec_isr)		CPU1 (dtsec_set_allmulti)
<XFUNEN interrupt>
ioread32be(rctrl)		ioread32be(rctrl)
				iowrite32be(rctrl | MPROM)
iowrite32be(rctrl | GRS)

and suddenly the MPROM write is dropped. (Actually, the whole
FM_TX_LOCKUP_ERRATA_DTSEC6 errata code seems funky, since after calling
fman_reset_mac it seems like everything would need to be reinitialized).

So what's going on here? Is there actually no locking, or am I missing
something?

--Sean