Date:   Wed, 6 Jul 2022 15:52:41 +0100
From:   Mel Gorman <mgorman@...hsingularity.net>
To:     Oliver Sang <oliver.sang@...el.com>
Cc:     Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>,
        0day robot <lkp@...el.com>,
        LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>, linux-mm@...ck.org,
        lkp@...ts.01.org, Nicolas Saenz Julienne <nsaenzju@...hat.com>,
        Marcelo Tosatti <mtosatti@...hat.com>,
        Vlastimil Babka <vbabka@...e.cz>,
        Michal Hocko <mhocko@...nel.org>,
        Hugh Dickins <hughd@...gle.com>
Subject: Re: [mm/page_alloc]  2bd8eec68f:
 BUG:sleeping_function_called_from_invalid_context_at_mm/gup.c

On Wed, Jul 06, 2022 at 10:21:36PM +0800, Oliver Sang wrote:
> > I tried reproducing this on a 2-socket machine with Xeon
> > Gold Gold 5218R CPUs. It was necessary to set timeouts in both
> > vm/settings and kselftest/runner.sh to avoid timeouts. Testing with
> > a standard config on my original 5.19-rc3 baseline and the baseline
> > b13baccc3850ca8b8cccbf8ed9912dbaa0fdf7f3 both passed. I tried your kernel
> > config with i915 disabled (would not build) and necessary storage drivers
> > and network drivers enabled (for boot and access). The kernel log shows
> > a bunch of warnings related to USBAN during boot and during some of the
> > tests but otherwise compaction_test completed successfully as well as
> > the other VM tests.
> >
> > Is this always reproducible?
>
> not always but high rate.
> we actually also observed other dmesgs stats for both 2bd8eec68f74 and its
> parent

Ok, it's unclear what the "other dmesg stats" are but given that it happens
for the parent. Does 5.19-rc2 (your baseline) have the same messages as
2bd8eec68f74^? Does the kselftests vm suite always pass but sometimes
fails with 2bd8eec68f74?

> but those dmesg.BUG:sleeping_function_called_from_invalid_context_at*
> seem only happen on 2bd8eec68f74 as well as the '-fix' commit.

And roughly how often does it happen? I'm running it in a loop now to
see if I can trigger it locally.

--
Mel Gorman
SUSE Labs