Date:   Wed, 13 Jul 2022 11:47:14 +0200
From:   Thorsten Leemhuis <regressions@...mhuis.info>
To:     Dmitry Osipenko <dmitry.osipenko@...labora.com>,
        Daniel Exner <dex@...gonslave.de>,
        "Rafael J. Wysocki" <rafael.j.wysocki@...el.com>
Subject: Re: Regression in v5.19-rc4 Sound Distortion

On 12.07.22 18:35, Dmitry Osipenko wrote:
> On 7/12/22 19:02, Daniel Exner wrote:
>
>> Since  v5.19-rc4 this box got some *loud* distorting sound on boot and
>> after some time without any sound if something plays sound again from
>> the integrated speakers in my monitor.
>>
>> I managed to bisect this down to:
>>
>>> commit 202773260023b56e868d09d13d3a417028f1ff5b
>>> Author: Dmitry Osipenko <dmitry.osipenko@...labora.com>
>>> Date:   Fri Jun 17 15:24:02 2022 +0300
>>>
>>>    PM: hibernate: Use kernel_can_power_off()
>>
>> Reverting that commit on top of v5.19-rc6 does indeed fix the problem here.
>
> You're saying that the problem is on boot, but this patch is about
> suspension to disk, which has nothing to do neither with the boot nor
> with power-off. I'm afraid your bisection is incorrect.

After quickly looking at the code this looks appropriate, but why does
reverting that commit help then? That's a bit odd. Daniel: are you maybe
using suspend-to-disk and forgot to mention it?

P.S.: As the Linux kernel's regression tracker I deal with a lot of
reports and sometimes miss something important when writing mails like
this. If that's the case here, don't hesitate to tell me in a public
reply, it's in everyone's interest to set the public record straight.