Date:   Thu, 14 Jul 2022 10:37:30 -0700
From:   Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
To:     Guenter Roeck <linux@...ck-us.net>
Cc:     Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@...ux-m68k.org>,
        Alex Deucher <alexdeucher@...il.com>,
        Harry Wentland <harry.wentland@....com>,
        Leo Li <sunpeng.li@....com>,
        Alex Deucher <alexander.deucher@....com>,
        Balbir Singh <bsingharora@...il.com>,
        Daniel Axtens <dja@...ens.net>,
        Paul Mackerras <paulus@...abs.org>,
        Michael Ellerman <mpe@...erman.id.au>,
        Kefeng Wang <wangkefeng.wang@...wei.com>,
        "Russell King (Oracle)" <rmk+kernel@...linux.org.uk>,
        amd-gfx list <amd-gfx@...ts.freedesktop.org>
Subject: Re: Linux 5.19-rc6

On Thu, Jul 14, 2022 at 10:24 AM Guenter Roeck <linux@...ck-us.net> wrote:

> We can't use virt_to_phys() and phys_to_virt() because they are defined for
> the underlying architecture. Would uml_to_phys() and uml_to_virt() be
> acceptable ? If so, I'll submit a patch.

Sure, that would be good, and make th uml helpers clearly be in the
uml namespace.

Another more traditional approach is to use underscored versions, but
exactly because that's the normal thing, things like that may then
clash with the "native architecture" version, so for uml using an
explicit uml namespace might be the better option.