Date:   Sun, 17 Jul 2022 23:05:04 +0100
From:   Sudip Mukherjee <sudipm.mukherjee@...il.com>
To:     Nathan Chancellor <nathan@...nel.org>
        clang-built-linux <llvm@...ts.linux.dev>
Subject: Re: linux-next: Tree for Jul 14

Hi Nathan,

On Thu, Jul 14, 2022 at 10:24 PM Nathan Chancellor <nathan@...nel.org> wrote:

> Dropping the next list and Stephen as these issues are likely present on
> mainline as well.
>
> On Thu, Jul 14, 2022 at 07:26:27PM +0100, Sudip Mukherjee wrote:
> > Hi Nathan,

> > <snip>
> >

> > > Sure! I am not sure that we have tested mips or powerpc allmodconfig now
> > > that I am thinking about it but we'll certainly take a look at any
> > > issues that come from them and see what we can do.
> >
> > The build errors from powerpc allmodconfig with clang:
>
> Thanks for testing!
>
> > 1)
> > Error: External symbol 'memset' referenced from prom_init.c
>
> Good to know this is not clang specific.

Ok, so clang is also trying to use memset for any array.
Linus suggested adding volatile. ref:
https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/CAHk-=whc3Uvhrmrr27xp5=oOhSDjXc5s1ZxC3B7xMYV6oj4WRQ@mail.gmail.com/
for the gcc-12 problem, and with that I can see that clang has worked
as expected and removed memset from struct prom_args. But now memset
is still there for other arrays in prom_init_mem() and others. I think
we will still need a patch for clang, and that will also work when the
gcc-12 bug is fixed.

--
Regards
Sudip