Date:   Wed, 20 Jul 2022 11:43:37 -0700
From:   Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
To:     Steven Rostedt <rostedt@...dmis.org>
Cc:     Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>,
        Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
        LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        "the arch/x86 maintainers" <x86@...nel.org>,
        Tim Chen <tim.c.chen@...ux.intel.com>,
        Josh Poimboeuf <jpoimboe@...nel.org>,
        Andrew Cooper <Andrew.Cooper3@...rix.com>,
        Pawan Gupta <pawan.kumar.gupta@...ux.intel.com>,
        Johannes Wikner <kwikner@...z.ch>,
        Alyssa Milburn <alyssa.milburn@...ux.intel.com>,
        Jann Horn <jannh@...gle.com>, "H.J. Lu" <hjl.tools@...il.com>,
        Joao Moreira <joao.moreira@...el.com>,
        Joseph Nuzman <joseph.nuzman@...el.com>,
        Juergen Gross <jgross@...e.com>,
        Masami Hiramatsu <mhiramat@...nel.org>,
        Alexei Starovoitov <ast@...nel.org>,
        Daniel Borkmann <daniel@...earbox.net>
Subject: Re: [patch 00/38] x86/retbleed: Call depth tracking mitigation

On Wed, Jul 20, 2022 at 11:31 AM Steven Rostedt <rostedt@...dmis.org> wrote:

> Thus, is there a way to keep this file from being entered into the
> return_sites section?

I think the whole concept is broken.

Testing known-broken code on the expectation that "this won't work
anyway, so we can jump off to code that is broken" is not acceptable.

*If* the test were to fail, it would start executing random code that
hasn't been relocated or fixed up properly.

So I think the whole concept is broken. It relies on the compiler
generating code that can work in a read-only data section, and it's
not clear that that is even physically possible (ie the data section
might be far enough away from a code section that any relocation just
fundamentally cannot happen).

I think it worked purely by mistake, because the code was simple
enough that it didn't need any relocation at all before. But even
without RETHUNK, that was never guaranteed, because any random tracing
or debug code or whatever could have made even that empty function
have code in it that just fundamentally wouldn't work in a non-text
section.

So honestly, I think that test should be removed as a "we used this,
it happened to work almost by mistake, but it doesn't work any more
and it is unfixably broken".

Maybe somebody can come up with an entirely different way to do that
test that isn't so broken, but if so, I think it's going to be using
some other machinery (eg bpf and explicitly marking it read-only and
non-executable), and removing this broken model is the right thing
regardless.

So unless somebody has some one-liner workaround, I really suspect the
fix is to remove all this. The amount of hackery to make it work in
the first place is kind of disgusting anyway.

Since this was a WARN_ONCE(), can you make sure that with this case
removed, nothing else triggers?

                Linus

View attachment "patch.diff" of type "text/x-patch" (2820 bytes)