Date:   Tue, 2 Aug 2022 21:14:15 -0500
From:   Adam Ford <aford173@...il.com>
To:     Marco Felsch <m.felsch@...gutronix.de>
Cc:     Fabio Estevam <festevam@...il.com>, Marek Vasut <marex@...x.de>,
Subject: Re: imx8mm lcdif->dsi->adv7535 no video, no errors

On Tue, Aug 2, 2022 at 8:51 AM Adam Ford <aford173@...il.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 2, 2022 at 7:13 AM Adam Ford <aford173@...il.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Aug 2, 2022 at 3:08 AM Marco Felsch <m.felsch@...gutronix.de> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Adam, Fabio,

> > > Can you provide me a link to this thread?
> >
> > Sure,
> >
> > https://www.spinics.net/lists/dri-devel/msg358301.html

> > > Cool so now you have the same state as we are.
> >
> > I have a couple patches applied to mine which mimic some of the stuff
> > that NXP did.  Since I have access to a programmer manual, i was able
> > to confirm some of the 7535 specific stuff and the low-refresh rate
> > changes in their kernel appear appropriate and I also created a second
> > table of default settings for the 7535 and if the type is set
> > properly, i'll use the newer table instead of the older one. If anyone
> > wants any of these patches, I can certainly share them, but I am not
> > certain they make any difference.
> >
> > There are a few other items in the programmer manual that I want to
> > attempt to implement once I have a chance to further review the
> > document.
> >

> > > I think that the most important one is the blanking calc. Can you try to
> > > revert "drm/bridge: adv7511: Repair bus_flags and bus_format" and check
> > > if you can get a output still? Also something to try would be to disable
> > > the internal timing generator by specifying
> > > 'adi,disable-timing-generator'. Also if you have an oscilloscope for
>
> I did some reading about the internal timing generator.  It appears
> that it's required when video formats use fractional bytes, and it's
> preconfigured to run at 720p by default, but registers 28h through 37h
> configure it for other video modes.
I think there may still be some issues with the DSIM since some of the
clock frequencies are set in the device tree.

>From what I can tell, the pixel rate is calculated based on the
burst-clock-frequency and that generates a byte clock.  For 891000000,
the byte clock is 111375000.

Modetest timings for 1080p show:

index name refresh (Hz) hdisp hss hse htot vdisp vss vse vtot
  #0 1920x1080 60.00 1920 2008 2052 2200 1080 1084 1089 1125 148500
flags: nhsync, nvsync; type: driver

When looking at modetest, there is a clock for 1080p which appears to be 148500.
111375000/148500 = 750.

The rest of the entries in my table do not divide evenly.  I don;t
know if that explains the lack of display, but it's something to note.
It seems to me that instead of fixing the
samsung,burst-clock-frequency to 891000000, we should make the desired
PLL related to the desired pixel clock so it divides evenly.

Looking at NXP's kernel, I also noticed that their esc_prescaler is
based on the byte clock divided by 20MHz.  With some small code
changes to get the PLL based on the desired pixel clock instead of
hard-coded,  I was able to set

samsung,burst-clock-frequency = <1500000000>;
samsung,esc-clock-frequency = <20000000>;

With these settings and the above mentioned code changes, 1080p still
appears, however when attempting other modes, the display still fails
to load.  I also noticed that the phy ref clock is set to 27MHz
instead of NXP's 12MHz.  I attempted to play with that setting, but I
couldn't get 1080p to work again, so I backed it out.

Maybe I am headed in the wrong direction, but I'm going to examine the
P/M/S calculation of the timing on NXP's kernel to see how the DSIM in
this code compares.

If someone who understands the interactions between these different
components has suggestions, I'm willing to run some experiments.

adam