Date:   Wed, 3 Aug 2022 16:52:32 -0700
From:   Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
To:     Paolo Abeni <pabeni@...hat.com>, Vlad Buslov <vladbu@...dia.com>,
        Oz Shlomo <ozsh@...dia.com>,
        Pablo Neira Ayuso <pablo@...filter.org>
Cc:     kuba@...nel.org, davem@...emloft.net, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
        linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] Networking for 6.0

On Wed, Aug 3, 2022 at 3:15 AM Paolo Abeni <pabeni@...hat.com> wrote:

>   git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/netdev/net-next.git tags/net-next-6.0

Hmm. Another thing I note about this.

It adds a new NF_FLOW_TABLE_PROCFS option, and that one has two problems:

 - it is 'default y'. Why?

 - it has 'depends on PROC_FS' etc, but guess what it does *not*
depend on? NF_FLOW_TABLE itself.

So not only does this new code try to enable itself by default, which
is a no-no. We do "default y" if it's an old feature that got split
out as a config option, or if it's something that everybody *really*
should have, but I don't see that being the case here.

But it also asks the user that question even when the user doesn't
even have NF_FLOW_TABLE at all. Which seems entirely crazy.

Am I missing something? Because it looks *completely* broken.

I've said this before, and I'll say this again: our kernel config is
hard on users as-is, and we really shouldn't make it worse by making
it ask invalid questions or have invalid defaults.

                Linus