Date:   Thu, 4 Aug 2022 13:00:26 +0100
From:   Tvrtko Ursulin <tvrtko.ursulin@...ux.intel.com>
To:     Dave Airlie <airlied@...il.com>,
        Oded Gabbay <oded.gabbay@...il.com>,
        dri-devel <dri-devel@...ts.freedesktop.org>
Cc:     Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@...uxfoundation.org>,
        Yuji Ishikawa <yuji2.ishikawa@...hiba.co.jp>,
        "Linux-Kernel@...r. Kernel. Org" <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        Arnd Bergmann <arnd@...db.de>, Jiho Chu <jiho.chu@...sung.com>
Subject: Re: New subsystem for acceleration devices

On 04/08/2022 00:54, Dave Airlie wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Aug 2022 at 06:21, Oded Gabbay <oded.gabbay@...il.com> wrote:

>>> We've had some submissions for not-GPUs to the drm subsystem recently.
>>>
>>> Intel GNA, Intel VPU, NVDLA, rpmsg AI processor unit.
>>>
>>> why is creating a new subsystem at this time necessary?
>>>
>>> Are we just creating a subsystem to avoid the open source userspace
>>> consumer rules? Or do we have some concrete reasoning behind it?
>>>
>>> Dave.
>>
>> Hi Dave.
>> The reason it happened now is because I saw two drivers, which are
>> doing h/w acceleration for AI, trying to be accepted to the misc
>> subsystem.
>> Add to that the fact I talked with Greg a couple of months ago about
>> doing a subsystem for any compute accelerators, which he was positive
>> about, I thought it is a good opportunity to finally do it.
>>
>> I also honestly think that I can contribute much to these drivers from
>> my experience with the habana driver (which is now deployed in mass at
>> AWS) and contribute code from the habana driver to a common framework
>> for AI drivers.
>
> Why not port the habana driver to drm now instead? I don't get why it
> wouldn't make sense?
>
> Stepping up to create a new subsystem is great, but we need rules
> around what belongs where, we can't just spawn new subsystems when we
> have no clear guidelines on where drivers should land.
>
> What are the rules for a new accel subsystem? Do we have to now
> retarget the 3 drivers that are queued up to use drm for accelerators,
> because 2 drivers don't?

Isn't there three on the "don't prefer drm" side as well? Habana,
Toshiba and Samsung? Just so the numbers argument is not misrepresented.
Perhaps a poll like a) prefer DRM, b) prefer a new subsystem, c) don't
care in principle; is in order?

More to the point, code sharing is a very compelling argument if it can
be demonstrated to be significant, aka not needing to reinvent the same
wheel.

Perhaps one route forward could be a) to consider is to rename DRM to
something more appropriate, removing rendering from the name and
replacing with accelerators, co-processors, I don't know... Although I
am not sure renaming the codebase, character device node names and
userspace headers is all that feasible. Thought to mention it
nevertheless, maybe it gives an idea to someone how it could be done.

And b) allow the userspace rules to be considered per driver, or per
class (is it a gpu or not should be a question that can be answered).
Shouldn't be a blocker if it still matches the rules present elsewhere
in the kernel.

Those two would remove the two most contentions points as far as I
understood the thread.

Regards,

Tvrtko