Date:   Mon, 8 Aug 2022 05:13:14 -0500
From:   Adam Ford <aford173@...il.com>
To:     Marco Felsch <m.felsch@...gutronix.de>
Cc:     Biju Das <biju.das.jz@...renesas.com>,
Subject: Re: imx8mm lcdif->dsi->adv7535 no video, no errors

On Mon, Aug 8, 2022 at 3:54 AM Marco Felsch <m.felsch@...gutronix.de> wrote:

> [...]
> > > [  106.429216] samsung_dsim_set_display_mode: bfp = 20
> > > [  106.441777] sec_mipi_dsim_set_main_mode: vmode->hfront_porch 110 ->
> > > hfp_wc = 77
> > > [  106.449221] sec_mipi_dsim_set_main_mode: vmode->hsync_len 40 -> hsa_wc = 24
> > > [  106.456314] LCD size = 1280x720
> > > [  106.470115] adv7511_dsi_config_timing_gen: htotal = 1650
> > > [  106.480707] adv7511_dsi_config_timing_gen: hfp = 110
> > >

> > After spending more time than I care to admit, I think I have a
> > working solution to the DSIM + ADV7535, but the vast majority of the
> > changes I had to do were revolving around samsung_dsim_set_phy_ctrl.
> > I have an LVDS bridge based on the ti,sn65dsi83.  With some
> > suggestions from Marek V, I replaced the fixed-clock solution with a
> > dynamic one based on the attached bridge's requested clocks.
> >
> > With those changes, I have the following resolutions working on the
> > ADV7535 (with almost no chages to the ADV code) ane one that's nearly
> > working:
> >
> > Working:
> >
> > 1080p@60
> > 1080p@50
> > 720p@50
> > 800x600-75
> > 720x576
> >
> > Partially Working:
> > 720p@60 (hsync appears off, rounding error?)
> >
> > This driver appears to be using a fixed frequency and the
> > corresponding fixed frequency in the DPHY settings. If the clock
> > changes, the samsung_dsim_set_phy_ctrl needs to adjust accordingly.
> > NXP lists a 2-lane operation mode for 720 as needing some additional
> > adjustments because the calculations don't quite line up, but due to
> > the other changes I made, I didn't investigate 2-lane very much.
> >
> > In order to switch resolutions, I had to lock the adv7535 in 4-lane
> > mode with a minor patch to the adv driver, because the DSIM doesn't
> > appear to operate in 3-lane mode (like the adv7511 wants to do) and
> > the DSIM seemed to be unhappy about the connections and
> > disconnections.  I also made some changes to the PMS calibration for
> > the PLL which allowed me to lower the phy clock a bit.
> >
> > The rest of the changes I did were attempting to port the dsim dphy
> > frequency tables from NXP's kernel.  If anyone from NXP or Samsung has
> > the formula for how to determine some of the values for the DPHY, I'd
> > like to replace the look-up table [1] with a formula.
> >
> > Once I have my code changes cleaned up, I'll push them to a github and
> > share the info.
> >
> > [1] - https://source.codeaurora.org/external/imx/linux-imx/tree/include/drm/bridge/sec_mipi_dsim.h?h=lf-5.15.y
>
> Hi Adam,
>
> thanks for your work and sharing. Did you tested our current solution
> since we think that we understood the DSIM porches? As I said in the
> very beginning of this discussion, NXP took some porch values we really
> don't understand and I don't think they do either. NXP tweaked the
> values somehow so the chip is producing at least the most wanted

I am using the porch calculator that Jagan's driver used + a bunch of
stuff to address a variety of clock rates and their corresponding DPHY
settings.  I did notice that the porches were different from NXP's,
but for the resolutions I listed, I didn't have to tweak them myself.
I have a tweaking hack for 720x480, but it's purely on the DSIM side,
and I haven't had to hack the ADV driver (other than to keep it from
switching from 4-lanes).    I am not convinced the ADV7535 is a bad
part, but I am convinced there is more to the DSIM than their TRM
documents state.  My changes to the DSIM driver also fixed my LVDS
bridge issue, so I feel like I am headed in the right direction.

I was planning on reviewing your porch calculator and generating some
sort of adjustment, but I'd like to keep it on the DSIM side so as not
to impact or break the ADV7535 for others.

I am guessing that the NXP tweaks were potentially to address areas
where the algorithm where it was compensating for the horizontal
timings where it does some math to recalculate what the timings should
be and there may have been sound rounding errors, but it's just a
guess.

adam