Date:   Fri, 19 Aug 2022 15:20:17 +0800
From:   Miaohe Lin <linmiaohe@...wei.com>
To:     Mike Kravetz <mike.kravetz@...cle.com>
CC:     Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>,
        Muchun Song <songmuchun@...edance.com>,
        Linux-MM <linux-mm@...ck.org>,
        linux-kernel <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [bug report] mm/hugetlb: various bugs with avoid_reserve case in
 alloc_huge_page()

On 2022/8/19 6:43, Mike Kravetz wrote:
> On 08/17/22 16:31, Miaohe Lin wrote:
>> Hi all:
>>     When I investigate the mm/hugetlb.c code again, I found there are a few possible issues
>> with avoid_reserve case. (It's really hard to follow the relevant code for me.) Please take
>> a look at the below analysis:
>
> Thank you for taking a close look at this code!
>
> I agree that the code is hard to follow.  I have spent many hours/days/weeks
> chasing down the cause of incorrect reservation counts.  I imagine there could
> be more issues, especially when you add the uncommon avoid_reserve and
> MAP_NORESERVE processing.

Many thanks for your time and reply, Mike!

>> 1.avoid_reserve issue with h->resv_huge_pages in alloc_huge_page.
>
> Did you actually see this issue, or is it just based on code inspection?

No, it's based on code inspection. ;)

> I tried to recreate, but could not.  When looking closer, this may not
> even be possible.
>
>>     Assume:
>> 	h->free_huge_pages 60
>> 	h->resv_huge_pages 30
>> 	spool->rsv_hpages  30
>
> OK.
>

>>     When avoid_reserve is true, after alloc_huge_page(), we will have:
>
> Take a close look at the calling paths for alloc_huge_page when avoid_reserve
> is true.  There are only two such call paths.
> 1) copy_hugetlb_page_range - We allocate pages in the 'early COW' processing.
>    In such cases, the pages are private and not associated with a file, or
>    filesystem or subpool (spool).  Therefore, there should be no spool
>    modifications.

Agree.

> 2) hugetlb_wp (formerly called hugetlb_cow) - Again, we are allocating a
>    private page and should not be modifying spool.

Agree.

> If the above is correct, then we will not modify spool->rsv_hpages which
> leads to the inconsistent results.

I missed to verify whether spool will be modified in avoid_reserve case. Sorry about that.

> It is confusing that MAP_NORESERVE does not imply avoid_reserve will be
> passed to alloc_huge_page.

It's introduced to guarantee that COW faults for a process that called mmap(MAP_PRIVATE) will succeed via commit
04f2cbe35699 ("hugetlb: guarantee that COW faults for a process that called mmap(MAP_PRIVATE) on hugetlbfs will succeed").
It seems it has nothing to do with MAP_NORESERVE.

>> 	spool->rsv_hpages  29 /* hugepage_subpool_get_pages decreases it. */
>> 	h->free_huge_pages 59
>> 	h->resv_huge_pages 30 /* rsv_hpages is used, but *h->resv_huge_pages is not modified accordingly*. */
>>
>>     If the hugetlb page is freed later, we will have:
>> 	spool->rsv_hpages  30 /* hugepage_subpool_put_pages increases it. */
>> 	h->free_huge_pages 60
>> 	h->resv_huge_pages 31 /* *increased wrongly* due to hugepage_subpool_put_pages(spool, 1) == 0. */
>> 			   ^^
>>

> I'll take a closer look at 2 and 3 when we determine if 1 is a possible
> issue or not.

I want to propose removing the avoid_reserve code. When called from above case 1) or 2), vma_needs_reservation()
will always return 1 as there's no reservation for it. Also hugepage_subpool_get_pages() will always return 1 as
it's not associated with a spool. So when avoid_reserve == true, map_chg and gbl_chg must be 1 and vma_has_reserves()
will always return "false". As a result, passing in avoid_reserve == true will do nothing in fact. So it can be simply
removed. Or am I miss something again?

If avoid_reserve code can be removed, below issue 2 and 3 won't be possible as they rely on avoid_reserve doing its work.

Thanks!
Miaohe Lin