Date:   Fri, 26 Aug 2022 18:36:04 +0200
From:   Takashi Iwai <tiwai@...e.de>
To:     Sean Anderson <sean.anderson@...o.com>
Cc:     Jaroslav Kysela <perex@...ex.cz>, Takashi Iwai <tiwai@...e.com>,
        alsa-devel@...a-project.org,
Subject: Re: retire_capture_urb: Corrected urb data len

On Fri, 26 Aug 2022 18:22:24 +0200,
Sean Anderson wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a "FiiO DigiHug USB Audio" sound card (1852:7022) [3]. I have had
> no problems with the audio, but I did notice a large number of message
> like
>
> retire_capture_urb: 4992 callbacks suppressed
>
> in my dmesg [1]. This is caused by the "Corrected urb data len."
> warning.

What exact values are shown there?  The problem is that your hardware
(likely a buggy firmware) returns the unaligned size of bytes as the
data.  Maybe it's worth to replace dev_warn_ratelimited() there with
dev_warn() and take all warnings once.  Then we can see what kind of
values are delivered from the hardware.

> The patch adding this warning [2] makes it seem like
> this warning should be an uncommon occurance. However, based on the
> number of suppressed callbacks, this seems to be happening at a rate of
> around 500 Hz.
>
> Is this buggy hardware? Or is this a bug in the driver? Does there need
> to be a quirk? Or perhaps the warning above should be a debug instead?

There is no quirk for that.  As long as the device works with that
workaround (except for messages), we can simply add a quirk to not
warn but always apply the workaround silently for such devices.

thanks,

Takashi