Date:   Mon, 19 Sep 2022 13:03:25 +0200
From:   David Hildenbrand <david@...hat.com>
To:     Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi <michael@...rulasolutions.com>
Cc:     Mike Rapoport <rppt@...nel.org>,
        LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
Subject: Re: Correlation CMA size and FORCE_MAX_ZONEORDER

On 19.09.22 11:57, Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Mon, Sep 19, 2022 at 11:31 AM David Hildenbrand <david@...hat.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 19.09.22 11:17, Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi wrote:
>>> Hi David

>>> I can run 6-rc2 on my board. I test again but according to it, if I
>>> put 4M as CMA in cma=4M in boot
>>> parameters, the result is 32Mb of CMA. Apart of that seems that
>>> process lime tiny membench can not even start
>>> to mblock memory
>>>

>> The CMA alignemnt change went into v5.19. If "cma=4M" still gives you >
>> 4M, can you post /proc/meminfo and the early console output?
>>

> cat /proc/cmdline
> cma=4M mtdparts=gpmi-nand:4m(nandboot),1m(env),24m(kernel),1m(nanddtb),-(rootfs)
> root=ubi0:root rw ubi.mtd=ro
> otfs rootfstype=ubifs rootwait=1
> # cat /proc/meminfo
> MemTotal:         109560 kB
> MemFree:           56084 kB
> MemAvailable:      56820 kB
> Buffers:               0 kB
> Cached:            39680 kB
> SwapCached:            0 kB
> Active:               44 kB
> Inactive:            644 kB
> Active(anon):         44 kB
> Inactive(anon):      644 kB
> Active(file):          0 kB
> Inactive(file):        0 kB
> Unevictable:       39596 kB
> Mlocked:               0 kB
> HighTotal:             0 kB
> HighFree:              0 kB
> LowTotal:         109560 kB
> LowFree:           56084 kB
> SwapTotal:             0 kB
> SwapFree:              0 kB
> Dirty:                 0 kB
> Writeback:             0 kB
> AnonPages:           628 kB
> Mapped:             1480 kB
> Shmem:                84 kB
> KReclaimable:       4268 kB
> Slab:               8456 kB
> SReclaimable:       4268 kB
> SUnreclaim:         4188 kB
> KernelStack:         392 kB
> PageTables:           88 kB
> NFS_Unstable:          0 kB
> Bounce:                0 kB
> WritebackTmp:          0 kB
> CommitLimit:       54780 kB
> Committed_AS:       1876 kB
> VmallocTotal:     901120 kB
> VmallocUsed:        2776 kB
> VmallocChunk:          0 kB
> Percpu:               72 kB
> CmaTotal:          32768 kB
> CmaFree:           32484 kB
> # uname -a
> Linux buildroot 6.0.0-rc5 #20 SMP Mon Sep 19 11:51:26 CEST 2022 armv7l GNU/Linux
> #
>
> Then here https://pastebin.com/6MUB2VBM dmesg
>
> CONFIG_ARM_MODULE_PLTS=y
> CONFIG_FORCE_MAX_ZONEORDER=14
> CONFIG_ALIGNMENT_TRAP=y
> CONFIG_CMA
> CONFIG_CMA_AREAS=7
>
> CONFIG_CMA_SIZE_MBYTES=8
> CONFIG_CMA_SIZE_SEL_MBYTES=y

Thanks!

I assume that in your setup, the pageblock size depends on MAX_ORDER
and, therefore, FORCE_MAX_ZONEORDER.

This should be the case especially if CONFIG_HUGETLB_PAGE is not defined
(include/linux/pageblock-flags.h).

In contrast to what I remember, the pageblock size does not seem to
depend on the THP size (weird) as well.

So, yes, that limitation is still in effect for some kernel configs.

One could make the pageblock size configurable (similar to
CONFIG_HUGETLB_PAGE_SIZE_VARIABLE) or simply default to a smaller
pageblock size as default with CONFIG_CMA and !CONFIG_HUGETLB_PAGE.

I imagine something reasonable might be to set the pageblock size to
2MiB without CONFIG_HUGETLB_PAGE but with CONFIG_CMA.

--
Thanks,

David / dhildenb