Date:   Mon, 19 Sep 2022 13:59:39 +0200
From:   Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi <michael@...rulasolutions.com>
To:     David Hildenbrand <david@...hat.com>
Cc:     Mike Rapoport <rppt@...nel.org>,
        LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
Subject: Re: Correlation CMA size and FORCE_MAX_ZONEORDER

Hi David

On Mon, Sep 19, 2022 at 1:28 PM David Hildenbrand <david@...hat.com> wrote:

> On 19.09.22 13:17, Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi wrote:
> > Hi

> >> Thanks!
> >>
> >> I assume that in your setup, the pageblock size depends on MAX_ORDER
> >> and, therefore, FORCE_MAX_ZONEORDER.
> >>
> >> This should be the case especially if CONFIG_HUGETLB_PAGE is not defined
> >> (include/linux/pageblock-flags.h).
> >>
> >> In contrast to what I remember, the pageblock size does not seem to
> >> depend on the THP size (weird) as well.
> >>

> >> So, yes, that limitation is still in effect for some kernel configs.
> >>
> >> One could make the pageblock size configurable (similar to
> >> CONFIG_HUGETLB_PAGE_SIZE_VARIABLE) or simply default to a smaller
> >> pageblock size as default with CONFIG_CMA and !CONFIG_HUGETLB_PAGE.
> >>
> >> I imagine something reasonable might be to set the pageblock size to
> >> 2MiB without CONFIG_HUGETLB_PAGE but with CONFIG_CMA.
> >>

> > I don't think making more configuration options makes things clear.
>
> Yes, in an ideal case it should be automatic.
>
> > When we enable some configuration
> > we can force down the configuration. You need to explain clearly how
> > you envision it. FORCE_MAX_ZONEORDER
> > for me is the largest allocation that you can get from a zone (ex CMA
> > one). Any request allocation that is align to the
>
> FORCE_MAX_ZONEORDER is just a way to increase/decrease the maximum
> allocation size of the buddy in general.
>
> > CMA align and can fit inside a region should be allowed
> >
> > What am I missing?
>
> I think that the issue is that the CMA alignments nowadays depend on the
> pageblock size. And the pageblock size depends on *some* configurations
> on the maximum allocation size of the buddy.
>
> Documenting the interaction between FORCE_MAX_ZONEORDER and CMA size
> alignment is not trivial.
>
> For example, with CONFIG_HUGETLB_PAGE there might not be such an
> interaction. With CONFIG_HUGETLB_PAGE, there clearly is one.
>

> Let me phrase it this way: is it good enough in you setup to get 32mb vs
> 8mb or do you want/need to reduce it without adjusting
> FORCE_MAX_ZONEORDER ?

Wait we have:
- CMA kconfig alignment that in most config we have not considered
natural dma alignment but is put to 1Mb in a lot of embedded
- We have CMA_SIZE, CMA_SIZE_PERCENTAGE etc. Those seems that are not
effect if ZONEORDER is not reasonable and without
HUGETLB_PAGE
- etc

Changing MAX_ZONEORDER is ok and yes if you have an IOT device that
you know about your CMA allocation, it makes no sense to have
it 32MB for a 128Mb device. What I point out is that I need to figure
it out because in Kconfig there is no mention of it. Should it be
added there?

Michael

--
Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi