Date:   Mon, 26 Sep 2022 12:35:15 +0100
From:   Eric Curtin <ecurtin@...hat.com>
To:     Martin Povišer <povik+lin@...ebit.org>
Cc:     Sven Peter <sven@...npeter.dev>,
        Nick Desaulniers <nick.desaulniers@...il.com>,
        Masahiro Yamada <masahiroy@...nel.org>,
        Hector Martin <marcan@...can.st>,
        Nick Desaulniers <ndesaulniers@...gle.com>,
        clang-built-linux <llvm@...ts.linux.dev>,
        asahi@...ts.linux.dev,
Subject: Re: Any interest in building the Linux kernel from a MacOS host?

On Mon, 26 Sept 2022 at 10:21, Martin Povišer <povik+lin@...ebit.org> wrote:

> FWIW my current workflow includes building the kernel under macOS, so
> there’s some interest from me, but that will pass once the porting
> project progresses enough. So far I get by with some local duct tape.
>
> > On 26. 9. 2022, at 10:09, Sven Peter <sven@...npeter.dev> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Sep 26, 2022, at 09:51, Nick Desaulniers wrote:
>
> (...)
>
> >> If this might seem helpful
> >> to anyone's workflow, I wouldn't mind pursuing this (with some
> >> cleanup, sending a more formal patch set).  Maybe this helps us
> >> bootstrap or get Linux up and running sooner on these machines?
> >
> > I've been either using a Linux VM or just a bare metal system running
> > on these machine for quite a while now to build kernels. This would've
> > been useful when I originally started though and VMs weren't working very
> > well yet so maybe it's still worth pursuing.
>
> I really wanted to do it in a VM as a saner path, but I didn't find
> a satisfactory way to share the working source tree between the macOS
> host and Linux guest (which wouldn't slow down the build).

My way of doing this efficiently is to create throwaway commits, in
git, just to push code around to various physical or virtual machines
in my house. Because git is really fast at pushing incremental changes
around:

https://github.com/ericcurtin/staging/blob/master/git-push.sh

But if you eventually find a way to share a filesystem (which wouldn't
slow down the build) between MacOS and a Linux host via qemu or
something like that I'd be interested, that's most ideal of course.