Date:   Fri, 7 Oct 2022 10:28:44 -0700
From:   Tony Luck <tony.luck@...el.com>
To:     "Yu, Fenghua" <fenghua.yu@...el.com>
Cc:     "Chatre, Reinette" <reinette.chatre@...el.com>,
        Peter Newman <peternewman@...gle.com>,
        "Eranian, Stephane" <eranian@...gle.com>,
        Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
        James Morse <james.morse@....com>,
        Babu Moger <Babu.Moger@....com>
Subject: Re: [RFD] resctrl: reassigning a running container's CTRL_MON group

On Fri, Oct 07, 2022 at 08:44:53AM -0700, Yu, Fenghua wrote:
> Hi, Peter,
>
> > On 10/7/2022 3:39 AM, Peter Newman wrote:

> > > The CLOSID management rules would roughly be:
> > >
> > >  1. If an update would cause a CTRL_MON group's config to match that of
> > >     an existing group, the CTRL_MON group's CLOSID should change to that
> > >     of the existing group, where the definition of "match" is: all
> > >     control values match in all domains for all resources, as well as
> > >     the cpu masks matching.

So the micro steps are:

# mkdir newgroup
	# New groups are created with maximum resources. So this might
	# match the root/default group (if the root schemata had not
	# been edited) ... so you could re-use CLOSID=0 for this, or
	# perhaps allocate a new CLOSID
# edit newgroup/schemata
	# if this update makes this schemata match some other group,
	# then update the CLOSID for this group to be same as the other
	# group.

> > >  2. If an update to a CTRL_MON group sharing a CLOSID with another group
> > >     causes that group to no longer match any others, a new CLOSID must
> > >     be allocated.
	# So you have reference counts for CLOSIDs for how many groups
	# share it. In above example the change to the schemata and
	# alloction of a new CLOSID would decrement the reference count
	# and free the old CLOSID if it goes to zero

> > >  3. An update to a CTRL_MON group using a non-shared CLOSID which
> > >     continues to not match any others follows the current resctrl
> > >     behavior.
	# An update to a CTRL_MON group that has a CLOSID reference
	# count > 1 would try to allocate a new CLOSID if the new
	# schemata doesn't match any other group. If all CLOSIDs are
	# already in use, the write(2) to the schemata file must fail
	# ... maybe -ENOSPC is the right error code?

Note that if the root/default CTRL_MON had been editted you might not be
able to create a new group (even though you intend to make to match some
existing group and share a CLOSID). Perhaps we could change existing
semantics so that new groups copy the root group schemata instead of
being maximally permissibe with all resources?

> > > Before I prepare any patches for review, I'm interested in any
> > > comments or suggestions on the use case and solution.
> > >
> > > Are there simpler strategies for reassigning a running container's
> > > tasks to a different CTRL_MON group that we should be considering first?

Do tasks in a container share a "process group"? If they do, then a
simpler option would be some syntax to assign a group to a resctrl group
(perhaps as a negative task-id? or with a "G" prefix??).

Or is there some other simple way to enumerate all the tasks in a
container with some syntax that is convenient for both the user and the
kernel? If there is, then add code to allow something like:
	# echo C{containername} > tasks
and have the resctrl code move all tasks en masse.

Yet another option would be syntax to apply the move recursively to all
descendents of the given task id.

	# echo R{process-id} > tasks

I don't know how complex it would for the kernel to implement this. Or
whether it would meet Google's needs.

> > > Any concerns about the CLOSID-reusing behavior? The hope is existing
> > > users who aren't creating identically-configured CTRL_MON groups would
> > > be minimally impacted. Would it help if the proposed behavior were
> > > opt-in at mount-time?

I would suppose that few users are *deliberatley* creating groups with
identical schemata files (doesn't seem like there is a use case for
this). So I agree with your "minimal impact" assessment.

I think I'd prefer you explore modes for bulk moving tasks in a
container before going to the shared-CLOSID path.

-Tony