Date:   Tue, 11 Oct 2022 10:18:03 +0000
From:   David Laight <David.Laight@...LAB.COM>
To:     'Willy Tarreau' <w@....eu>
CC:     Alexey Dobriyan <adobriyan@...il.com>,
        "lkp@...el.com" <lkp@...el.com>,
        "linux-kselftest@...r.kernel.org" <linux-kselftest@...r.kernel.org>,
        "Paul E. McKenney" <paulmck@...nel.org>
Subject: RE: tools/nolibc: fix missing strlen() definition and infinite loop
 with gcc-12

From: Willy Tarreau

Clang 12.0.0 onwards, see https://godbolt.org/z/67Gnzs8js

> > I suspect that might run with less clocks/byte than the code above.
>
> Certainly for large strings, but not for short ones.

For short strings not needing the final sub and not having
the read depend on the increment should make the leal one faster.
(The nop to align the loop label is monumentally pointless.)

For long strings what matters is how many clocks it takes
to schedule the 4 uops in the loop.
It might be possible to get down to 2 clocks - but I think
both the loops are 3 clocks (assuming the adjacent cmp/jne fuse).

I'm not going to try to instrument the loops though!

	David

Registration No: 1397386 (Wales)