Date:   Mon, 17 Oct 2022 15:22:35 +0200
From:   Mirsad Goran Todorovac <mirsad.todorovac@....unizg.hr>
To:     Phillip Lougher <phillip@...ashfs.org.uk>,
        regressions@...mhuis.info
Cc:     bagasdotme@...il.com, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
        marcmiltenberger@...il.com, regressions@...ts.linux.dev,
        srw@...dewatkins.net, phillip.lougher@...il.com
Subject: Re: BISECT result: 6.0.0-RC kernels trigger Firefox snap bug with
 6.0.0-rc3 through 6.0.0-rc7

On 16.10.2022. 21:55, Phillip Lougher wrote:
> On 16/10/2022 16:55, Mirsad Goran Todorovac wrote:
>> On 15. 10. 2022. 22:59, Phillip Lougher wrote:
>
> Tracking down bugs of this sort is always a process of elimination,
> and gathering information to pinpoint the exact circumstances of why
> it is triggering.
>
> Next step is to download the exact snap(s) where the problems are
> occurring, as this may provide some insights.
>
> I don't run Ubuntu, and I don't use snaps.  Can you provide the
> download link(s) of the snap(s) that cause problems?  If there's
> any firefox snaps that don't cause problems those will be useful
> too.
>
> You don't mention if there's any errors present in "dmesg" when
> this happens, and so I'm assuming there aren't any?
>
> Phillip

Snaps are originated in Ubuntu, and they heavily rely on snapd, and
squashfs for decompressing executables.
Naturally, this also affects Linux Mint as Ubuntu's fork.

Those two comprise a large share of the Linux distros, and Firefox is
exclusively distributed in snaps.

There is no way to install Firefox without snapd and squashfs, so the
distros are lobotomised from the point of
the Firefox users.

You should basically do what is described here:
https://snapcraft.io/install/firefox/centos

and probably obvious to you: https://forums.centos.org/viewtopic.php?t=71485

then it's easy:

# snap install firefox

it will install from the latest release.

Thank you.

--
Mirsad Todorovac
System engineer