Date:   Fri, 28 Oct 2022 13:46:47 +0800
From:   "Huang, Ying" <ying.huang@...el.com>
To:     Aneesh Kumar K V <aneesh.kumar@...ux.ibm.com>
Cc:     linux-mm@...ck.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
        Alistair Popple <apopple@...dia.com>,
        Bharata B Rao <bharata@....com>,
        Dan Williams <dan.j.williams@...el.com>,
        Dave Hansen <dave.hansen@...el.com>,
        Davidlohr Bueso <dave@...olabs.net>,
        Hesham Almatary <hesham.almatary@...wei.com>,
        Jagdish Gediya <jvgediya.oss@...il.com>,
        Johannes Weiner <hannes@...xchg.org>,
        Jonathan Cameron <Jonathan.Cameron@...wei.com>,
        Michal Hocko <mhocko@...nel.org>,
        Tim Chen <tim.c.chen@...el.com>, Wei Xu <weixugc@...gle.com>,
        Yang Shi <shy828301@...il.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC] memory tiering: use small chunk size and more tiers

Aneesh Kumar K V <aneesh.kumar@...ux.ibm.com> writes:

> On 10/28/22 8:33 AM, Huang, Ying wrote:
>> Hi, Aneesh,
>>
>> Aneesh Kumar K V <aneesh.kumar@...ux.ibm.com> writes:

>>> Shouldn't we wait for gaining experience w.r.t how we would end up
>>> mapping devices with different latencies and bandwidth before tuning these values?
>>
>> Just want to discuss the overall design.

>>> this could also mean we can end up with lots of memory tiers with relative
>>> smaller performance difference between them. Again it depends how HMAT
>>> attributes will be used to map to abstract distance.
>>
>> Per my understanding, there will not be many memory types in a system.
>> So, there will not be many memory tiers too.  In most systems, there are
>> only 2 or 3 memory tiers in the system, for example, HBM, DRAM, CXL,
>> etc.
>
> So we don't need the chunk size to be 10 because we don't forsee us needing
> to group devices into that many tiers.

I suggest to use small chunk size to avoid to group 2 memory
types into one memory tier accidently.

>> Do you know systems with many memory types?  The basic idea is to
>> put different memory types in different memory tiers by default.  If
>> users want to group them, they can do that via overriding the abstract
>> distance of some memory type.
>>

> with small chunk size and depending on how we are going to derive abstract distance,
> I am wondering whether we would end up with lots of memory tiers with no
> real value. Hence my suggestion to wait making a change like this till we have
> code that map HMAT/CDAT attributes to abstract distance.

Per my understanding, the NUMA nodes of the same memory type/tier will
have the exact same latency and bandwidth in HMAT/CDAT for the CPU in
the same socket.

If my understanding were correct, you think the latency / bandwidth of
these NUMA nodes will near each other, but may be different.

Even if the latency / bandwidth of these NUMA nodes isn't exactly same,
we should deal with that in memory types instead of memory tiers.
There's only one abstract distance for each memory type.

So, I still believe we will not have many memory tiers with my proposal.

I don't care too much about the exact number, but want to discuss some
general design choice,

a) Avoid to group multiple memory types into one memory tier by default
   at most times.

b) Abandon customizing abstract distance chunk size.

Best Regards,
Huang, Ying