Date:   Fri, 28 Oct 2022 16:48:21 +0800
From:   Miaohe Lin <linmiaohe@...wei.com>
To:     "mingo@...hat.com" <mingo@...hat.com>,
        Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>, <juri.lelli@...hat.com>,
        <vincent.guittot@...aro.org>, <rohit.k.jain@...cle.com>
CC:     <dietmar.eggemann@....com>, Steven Rostedt <rostedt@...dmis.org>,
        <bsegall@...gle.com>, <mgorman@...e.de>, <bristot@...hat.com>,
        <vschneid@...hat.com>, linux-kernel <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Regression on vcpu_is_preempted()

Hi all scheduler experts:
  When we run java gc in our 8 vcpus guest *without KVM_FEATURE_STEAL_TIME enabled*, the output looks like below:
    With ParallelGCThreads=4 and ConcGCThreads=4, we have:
	G1 Young Generation: 1 times 1786 ms
	G1 Old Generation: 1 times 1022 ms
    With ParallelGCThreads=5 and ConcGCThreads=5, we have:
	G1 Young Generation: 1 times 1557 ms
	G1 Old Generation: 1 times 1020 ms

  This meets our expectation. But *with KVM_FEATURE_STEAL_TIME enabled* in our guest, the output looks like this:
    With ParallelGCThreads=4 and ConcGCThreads=4, we have:
	G1 Young Generation: 1 times 1637 ms
	G1 Old Generation: 1 times 1022 ms
    With ParallelGCThreads=5 and ConcGCThreads=5, we have:
	G1 Young Generation: 1 times 2164 ms
				      ^^^^
	G1 Old Generation: 1 times 1024 ms

  The duration of G1 Young Generation is far beyond our expectation when gc threads = 5. And we found the root cause
is that when KVM_FEATURE_STEAL_TIME is enabled *there are much more(3k+) cpu migrations for java gc threads*. It's due to
the below commit:

  commit 247f2f6f3c706b40b5f3886646f3eb53671258bf
  Author: Rohit Jain <rohit.k.jain@...cle.com>
  Date:   Wed May 2 13:52:10 2018 -0700

    sched/core: Don't schedule threads on pre-empted vCPUs

    In paravirt configurations today, spinlocks figure out whether a vCPU is
    running to determine whether or not spinlock should bother spinning. We
    can use the same logic to prioritize CPUs when scheduling threads. If a
    vCPU has been pre-empted, it will incur the extra cost of VMENTER and
    the time it actually spends to be running on the host CPU. If we had
    other vCPUs which were actually running on the host CPU and idle we
    should schedule threads there.

  When scheduler tries to select a CPU to run the gc thread, available_idle_cpu() will check whether vcpu_is_preempted().
It will choose other vcpu to run gc threads when the current vcpu is preempted. But the preempted vcpu has no other work
to do except continuing to do gc. In our guest, there are more vcpus than java gc threads. So there could always be some
available vcpus when scheduler tries to select a idle vcpu (runing on host). This leads to lots of cpu migrations and results
in regression.

  I'm not really familiar with this mechanism. Is this a problem that needs to be fixed or improved? Or is this just expected
behavior? Any response would be really appreciated!

Thanks!
Miaohe Lin