Date:   Wed, 02 Nov 2022 16:28:08 +0800
From:   "Huang, Ying" <ying.huang@...el.com>
To:     Michal Hocko <mhocko@...e.com>
Cc:     Bharata B Rao <bharata@....com>,
        Aneesh Kumar K V <aneesh.kumar@...ux.ibm.com>,
        linux-mm@...ck.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
        Alistair Popple <apopple@...dia.com>,
        Dan Williams <dan.j.williams@...el.com>,
        Dave Hansen <dave.hansen@...el.com>,
        Davidlohr Bueso <dave@...olabs.net>,
        Hesham Almatary <hesham.almatary@...wei.com>,
        Jagdish Gediya <jvgediya.oss@...il.com>,
        Johannes Weiner <hannes@...xchg.org>,
        Jonathan Cameron <Jonathan.Cameron@...wei.com>,
        Tim Chen <tim.c.chen@...el.com>, Wei Xu <weixugc@...gle.com>,
        Yang Shi <shy828301@...il.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC] memory tiering: use small chunk size and more tiers

Michal Hocko <mhocko@...e.com> writes:

> On Wed 02-11-22 16:02:54, Huang, Ying wrote:
>> Michal Hocko <mhocko@...e.com> writes:

>> > TBH I do not really understand how tweaking ranges helps anything.
>> > IIUC drivers are free to assign any abstract distance so they will clash
>> > without any higher level coordination.
>>
>> Yes.  That's possible.  Each memory tier corresponds to one abstract
>> distance range.  The larger the range is, the higher the possibility of
>> clashing is.  So I suggest to make the abstract distance range smaller
>> to reduce the possibility of clashing.
>
> I am sorry but I really do not understand how the size of the range
> actually addresses a fundamental issue that each driver simply picks
> what it wants. Is there any enumeration defining basic characteristic of
> each tier? How does a driver developer knows which tear to assign its
> driver to?

The smaller range size will not guarantee anything.  It just tries to
help the default behavior.

The drivers are expected to assign the abstract distance based on the
memory latency/bandwidth, etc.  And the abstract distance range of a
memory tier corresponds to a memory latency/bandwidth range too.  So, if
the size of the abstract distance range is smaller, the possibility for
two types of memory with different latency/bandwidth to clash on
the abstract distance range is lower.

Clashing isn't a totally disaster.  We plan to provide a per-memory-type
knob to offset the abstract distance provided by driver.  Then, we can
move clashing memory types away if necessary.

Best Regards,
Huang, Ying