Date:   Tue, 8 Nov 2022 16:55:29 +0100
From:   Vlastimil Babka <vbabka@...e.cz>
To:     Christoph Lameter <cl@...ux.com>,
        David Rientjes <rientjes@...gle.com>,
        Joonsoo Kim <iamjoonsoo.kim@....com>,
        Pekka Enberg <penberg@...nel.org>
Cc:     Hyeonggon Yoo <42.hyeyoo@...il.com>,
        Matthew Wilcox <willy@...radead.org>,
        Roman Gushchin <roman.gushchin@...ux.dev>,
        "linux-mm@...ck.org" <linux-mm@...ck.org>,
        Catalin Marinas <catalin.marinas@....com>,
        Rustam Kovhaev <rkovhaev@...il.com>,
Subject: Deprecating and removing SLOB

Hi,

as we all know, we currently have three slab allocators. As we discussed
at LPC [1], it is my hope that one of these allocators has a future, and
two of them do not.

The unsurprising reasons include code maintenance burden, other features
compatible with only a subset of allocators (or more effort spent on the
features), blocking API improvements (more on that below), and my
inability to pronounce SLAB and SLUB in a properly distinguishable way,
without resorting to spelling out the letters.

I think (but may be proven wrong) that SLOB is the easier target of the
two to be removed, so I'd like to focus on it first.

I believe SLOB can be removed because:

- AFAIK nobody really uses it? It strives for minimal memory footprint
by putting all objects together, which has its CPU performance costs
(locking, lack of percpu caching, searching for free space...). I'm not
aware of any "tiny linux" deployment that opts for this. For example,
OpenWRT seems to use SLUB and the devices these days have e.g. 128MB
RAM, not up to 16 MB anymore. I've heard anecdotes that the performance
SLOB impact is too much for those who tried. Googling for
"CONFIG_SLOB=y" yielded nothing useful.

- Last time we discussed it [2], it seemed SLUB memory requirements can
be brought very close to SLOB's if needed. Of course it can never have
as small footprint as SLOB due to separate kmem_caches, but the
difference is not that significant, unless somebody still tries to use
Linux on very tiny systems (goes back to the previous point).

Besides the smaller maintenance burden, removing SLOB would allow us to
do a useful API improvement - the ability to use kfree() for both
objects allocated by kmalloc() and kmem_cache_alloc(). Currently the
latter has to be freed by kmem_cache_free(), passing a kmem_cache
pointer in addition to the object pointer. With SLUB and SLAB, it is
however possible to use kfree() instead, as the kmalloc caches and the
rest of kmem_caches are the same and kfree() can lookup the kmem_cache
from object pointer easily for any of those. XFS has apparently did that
for years without anyone noticing it's broken on SLOB [3], and
legitimizing and expanding this would help some use cases beside XFS
(IIRC Matthew mentioned rcu-based freeing for example).

However for SLOB to support kfree() on all allocations, it would need to
store object size of allocated objects (which it currently does only for
kmalloc() objects, prepending a size header to the object), but for
kmem_cache_alloc() allocations as well. This has been attempted in the
thread [3] but it bloats the memory usage, especially on architectures
with large ARCH_KMALLOC_MINALIGN, where the prepended header basically
has to occupy the whole ARCH_KMALLOC_MINALIGN block to be DMA safe.
There are ongoing efforts to reduce this minalign, but the memory
footprint would still increase, going against the purpose of SLOB, so
again it would be easier if we could just remove it.

So with this thread I'm interested in hearing arguments/use cases for
keeping SLOB. There might be obviously users of SLOB whom this
conversation will not reach, so I assume the eventual next step would be
to deprecate it in a way that those users are notified when building a
new kernel and can raise their voice then. Is there a good proven way
how to do that for a config option like this one?

Thanks,
Vlastimil

[1] https://lpc.events/event/16/contributions/1272/ - slides in the
slabs.pdf linked there