Date:   Thu, 17 Nov 2022 17:00:21 +0000
From:   Wei Liu <wei.liu@...nel.org>
To:     Sean Christopherson <seanjc@...gle.com>
Cc:     Wei Liu <wei.liu@...nel.org>,
        Michael Kelley <mikelley@...rosoft.com>, hpa@...or.com,
        kys@...rosoft.com, haiyangz@...rosoft.com, decui@...rosoft.com,
        luto@...nel.org, peterz@...radead.org, davem@...emloft.net,
        edumazet@...gle.com, kuba@...nel.org, pabeni@...hat.com,
        lpieralisi@...nel.org, robh@...nel.org, kw@...ux.com,
        bhelgaas@...gle.com, arnd@...db.de, hch@...radead.org,
        m.szyprowski@...sung.com, robin.murphy@....com,
        thomas.lendacky@....com, brijesh.singh@....com, tglx@...utronix.de,
        mingo@...hat.com, bp@...en8.de, dave.hansen@...ux.intel.com,
        Tianyu.Lan@...rosoft.com, kirill.shutemov@...ux.intel.com,
        sathyanarayanan.kuppuswamy@...ux.intel.com, ak@...ux.intel.com,
        isaku.yamahata@...el.com, dan.j.williams@...el.com,
        jane.chu@...cle.com, tony.luck@...el.com, x86@...nel.org,
        linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-hyperv@...r.kernel.org,
        netdev@...r.kernel.org, linux-pci@...r.kernel.org,
        linux-arch@...r.kernel.org, iommu@...ts.linux.dev
Subject: Re: [Patch v3 13/14] PCI: hv: Add hypercalls to read/write MMIO space

On Thu, Nov 17, 2022 at 04:32:00PM +0000, Sean Christopherson wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 17, 2022, Wei Liu wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 16, 2022 at 10:41:36AM -0800, Michael Kelley wrote:
> > [...]
> > >
> > > +static void hv_pci_read_mmio(struct device *dev, phys_addr_t gpa, int size, u32 *val)
> > > +{
> > > +	struct hv_mmio_read_input *in;
> > > +	struct hv_mmio_read_output *out;
> > > +	u64 ret;
> > > +
> > > +	/*
> > > +	 * Must be called with interrupts disabled so it is safe
> > > +	 * to use the per-cpu input argument page.  Use it for
> > > +	 * both input and output.
> > > +	 */
>
> There's no need to require interrupts to be disabled to safely use a per-cpu
> variable, simply disabling preemption also provides the necessary protection.
> And this_cpu_ptr() will complain with CONFIG_DEBUG_PREEMPT=y if preemption isn't
> disabled.
>
> IIUC, based on the existing code, what is really be guarded against is an IRQ arriving
> and initiating a different hypercall from IRQ context, and thus corrupting the page
> from this function's perspective.

Exactly. Michael's comment did not say this explicitly but that's what's
being guarded.

> > Perhaps adding something along this line?
> >
> > 	WARN_ON(!irqs_disabled());
>
> Given that every use of hyperv_pcpu_input_arg except hv_common_cpu_init() disables
> IRQs, what about adding a helper to retrieve the pointer and assert that IRQs are
> disabled?  I.e. add the sanity for all usage, not just this one-off case.

We can potentially introduce a pair of get/put functions for these pages,
but let's not feature-creep here...

> And since CPUHP_AP_ONLINE_DYN => hv_common_cpu_init() runs after scheduling is
> activated by CPUHP_AP_SCHED_WAIT_EMPTY, I believe that hv_common_cpu_init() is
> theoretically broken.  Maybe someone can look at that when fixing he KVM vs.
> Hyper-V issue?
>
> https://lore.kernel.org/linux-hyperv/878rkqr7ku.fsf@ovpn-192-136.brq.redhat.com
> https://lore.kernel.org/all/87sfikmuop.fsf@redhat.com

I read the mails before have not looked into those since they are only
theoretical per those threads. Sorry.

The only scenario I can think of for CPU hotplug right now is the
(upcoming) Linux root kernel, I guess we will cross the bridge when we
get there.

Thanks,
Wei.